June 7, 1999Sun Adds Fibre Channel Switch To Lineup
Storage bundles will let users support multiple connections
By Martin J. Garvey
|And from our sister publications:|
Switches let IT managers create an infrastructure over long distances that connects servers to storage systems based on application needs, and provide users with access to data from almost any source. "We don't yet have the panacea to get to storage from anywhere in the galaxy," says Carla Kennedy, VP of marketing for Ancor, "but there are steps we can take in the meantime."
A feature in Ancor's Gigworks switch called hard zoning is designed to let users cross-configure connections to expand their SANs without sacrificing performance. Jeff Allen, VP of network storage marketing for Sun, says that feature played a part in the company's decision to go with Ancor. He says customers choose SANs in part because they can pay for storage as they go rather than buy large products up front, so they need products that retain high levels of performance as capacity increases.
Sun says the cost of the switches will be folded into its storage bundles, and declines to give
standalone prices. It will say only that their costs will be competitive with standard switches.
Marc Hansen, VP of system architecture for apparel manufacturer J. Crew in New York, says he
will be more inclined to invest in a SAN "if Sun gets the price down to $3,000 per port." Sun will
ship storage products with a renamed version of the switches during the second half of the year.
Send Us Your Feedback
Top of the Page
- Big Data: Architecting Systems at Speed - E2 Conference Boston
- Learn how to enage customers through mobility - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Explore best practices for marketers in the new mobile world - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Learn how to best integrate mobile commerce with your current systems -- Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Evaluating Emerging Technologies for the Enterprise - E2 Conference Boston
- Building a Hybrid Cloud in Government: It's not that Complicated
- Why is Information Governance So Important for Modern Analytics?
- Maximize the benefits of virtualization for greater ROI
- Get Actionable Insight with Security Intelligence for Mainframe Environments
- The ROI of Mobile Photo Bill Pay