|October 16, 2000|
Software Speeds Wireless Messaging
WAPmail Direct provides embedded WAP support to eliminate protocol conversions
|More on messaging:|
Send Us Your Feedback
Called WAPmail Direct, the software has been embedded onto Mirapoint's Internet Message Server appliance, a plug-and-play E-mail server. The software gives users a single in-box to access all their E-mail accounts and other messages from a cellular telephone, personal digital assistant, or other handheld device.
Typically, wireless devices using the Wireless Application Protocol require messages be converted from protocols used for wired communications, such as the Post Office Protocol or the Internet Mail Access Protocol. To do that, companies have to invest in additional hardware and software, says Satish Ramachandran, chairman and CEO of Mirapoint. WAPMail Direct provides embedded support for WAP so messages are sent "from server to device and from wired to wireless in one standard format without the usual conversions," Ramachandran says.
Dana Gardner, an analyst at the Aberdeen Group, a market-research firm, says WAPmail Direct is a relatively risk-free way for companies to try wireless technology without having to invest heavily in consultant and systems integration fees. Gardner says that while the system isn't completely plug-and-play, "it is easy to get up and running, and it plugs into many [messaging] services quickly."
Incyte Pharmaceuticals in Palo Alto, Calif., is considering adding wireless access to its messaging systems, but there isn't big demand at the moment. Still, software that doesn't require a lot of IT attention or investment is appealing, says Dave Conde, enterprise applications manager for Incyte.
Other WAPmail Direct features include content filtering and sup-port for the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol.
- BYOD into the Cloud: The Next Phase of Enterprise Mobility -
- Big Data: Architecting Systems at Speed - E2 Conference Boston
- Secure your mobile applications in the new commerce era - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Get practical information on how to develop your organization's mobile commerce application - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Learn how to move your broadband service to an All-IP network at TelcoVision (formerly TelcoTV) - TelcoVision
This Week's Issue
Current Healthcare Issue
Current Education Issue
- Business Value of Compilers
- IBM Analytic Answers for Retail Purchase Analysis and Offer Targeting
- Government Analytics: Set Goals, Drive Accountability and Improve Outcomes
- A Smarter Approach: Inside IBM Business Analytics Solutions for Mid-Size Businesses
- Business Analytics for Midsize Businesses: Challenges and Benefits