|January 1, 2001|
Consortium Aims To Unite XML Security Standards
Oasis Group Plans to combine specifications from two rival vendors
|More on security:|
Send Us Your Feedback
Oasis, a standards and interoperability consortium that's trying to blend two competing XML security standards into one, will host the meeting. The rival XML security specifications are backed by two security vendors: Securant Technologies Inc., which has AuthXML, and Netegrity Inc., with S2ML.
Most analysts say the similarities between the proposed standards outweigh any differences. "Until now, this has been a Securant vs. Netegrity issue. Now it looks like we have the cooperation of both sides," says Pete Lindstrom, senior analyst, security strategies, at the Hurwitz Group. "Hopefully, they'll both work within Oasis to develop something useful."
To make that happen, Oasis formed the Security Technical Committee, which will meet Jan. 9. "These companies are in a very competitive posture, and we help to neutralize that," says Oasis executive director Laura Walker. "Both are receptive to working together on this."
Participating vendors include Baltimore Technologies, Entegrity Solutions, Entrust Technologies, Hewlett-Packard, iPlanet, Netegrity, Oblix, OpenNetwork Technologies, Securant Technologies, Tivoli Systems, and TransIndigo.
Cooperation is critical, says Gordon Eubanks, Oblix's president and CEO. Companies with different infrastructures need to be able to communicate that a user is authorized to perform transactions on other companies' sites. "It's important that the customer who purchases a product from one company is assured that they can easily work with their partners who chose a competing product," he says.
Even if Oasis is successful, however, analysts say it may be a year before products based on the stan-dard are available.
- BYOD into the Cloud: The Next Phase of Enterprise Mobility -
- Big Data: Architecting Systems at Speed - E2 Conference Boston
- Get practical information on how to develop your organization's mobile commerce application - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Mobile Connect - E2 Conference Boston - E2 Conference Boston
- How to Choose a SaaS Vendor - E2 Conference Boston
This Week's Issue
Free Print SubscriptionSubscribe
Current Government Issue
- The Government CIO 25: These influential and accomplished government IT leaders are finding ways to be cost efficient and still innovate.
- Rethink Video Surveillance: It's not just about networked cameras anymore. New technology provides analytics, automation, facial recognition, real-time alerts and situational-awareness capabilities.
- Read the Current Issue
- HP Newsletter with Gartner Research: Maximizing Your Infrastructure through Virtualization
- Understanding Holistic Database Security 8 Steps to Successfully Securing Enterprise Data Sources
- Information Protection: The Impact Of Big Data
- A How-To Guide on Using Cloud Services for Security-Rich Data Backup
- IBM index reveals key indicators of business continuity exposure and maturity