Think you know everything you need to know about scanners and document imaging? Think again. From "Achromatic Color" to "Zoom," the latest addition to the bMighty Scanner How-To Center is a free downloadable guide to more than 71 key terms that can help you scan business documents faster, better, and more effic
Think you know everything you need to know about scanners and document imaging? Think again. From "Achromatic Color" to "Zoom," the latest addition to the bMighty Scanner How-To Center is a free downloadable guide to more than 71 key terms that can help you scan business documents faster, better, and more efficiently. Here's a sneak peek at the top 10 -- how many do you know?More From bMighty:
10. Anti-aliasing: The technique of adding dots to smooth out 'stair-steps', or 'jaggies' seen in images as they are viewed at increasingly larger size.
9. Blend: A technique used to smooth the transition between image areas, either by contrast or by color.
8. CMYK: Commonly used acronym for the colors used to produce the full range of color - Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and blacK.
7. Dithering: A process of averaging adjacent pixels or color dots to produce a more gradual transition between colors.
6. Dmax: In scanning, the range of densities between the highlights and shadows of an image.
5. Gamma: A correction to the color rendition of an image. Also known as gamma correction or gamma encoding.
4. Histogram: A graphical representation of the range of color values and brightness of an image.
3. Moire: A pattern -- occasionally produced when scanning halftone images -- that interferes with accurate representation of the scanned image.
2. Posterization: An image effect that reduces the number of shades to produce distinct bands of color with relatively high contrast between each band.
1. TWAIN: In scanning, a software component that connects a scanner and a computer graphic editing application. An acronym for Technology Without An Interesting Name.
If you knew 'em all, congratulations, you don't need to check out the glossary. (No cheating, though. Did you really know what TWAIN actually stands for?) If you weren't quite sure, you'll definitely want to see the whole guide.
Either way, you can turn to the Scanner How-To Center for more great downloadable guides:
How Enterprises Are Attacking the IT Security EnterpriseTo learn more about what organizations are doing to tackle attacks and threats we surveyed a group of 300 IT and infosec professionals to find out what their biggest IT security challenges are and what they're doing to defend against today's threats. Download the report to see what they're saying.
IT Strategies to Conquer the CloudChances are your organization is adopting cloud computing in one way or another -- or in multiple ways. Understanding the skills you need and how cloud affects IT operations and networking will help you adapt.