As part of the reorganization, Charles Giancarlo was named the networking equipment maker's chief technology officer.
Cisco has reorganized its technology organization under Mario Mazzola, the company's senior VP and chief development officer. As part of the announcement, Charles Giancarlo, who joined Cisco via the Kalpana acquisition in 1994, was named chief technology officer.
Other personnel changes announced Tuesday:
* Jayshree Ullal, senior VP and an 11-year Cisco veteran, will lead the Security Technology Group, reporting to Mazzola.
* Luca Cafiero, also a senior VP and an 11-year Cisco veteran, will head the Data Center, Storage, Switching, and Wireless Technology Group, reporting to Mazzola.
* Tony Bates, VP and general manager, will have sole responsibility for the Carrier Core Multiservice Business Unit. He'll report to Prem Jain and Mike Volpi, both senior VPs of the Routing Technology Group.
* Kathy Hill, a VP and general manager who joined Cisco in 1997, will now report to Mazzola, overseeing the Mid-range and Stackable Switching Technology Group.
* Kambiz Hooshmand, a VP and general manager who joined Cisco in 1996, also will report to Mazzola; he'll assume new responsibilities leading the Optical and Broadband Transport Technology Group.
How Enterprises Are Attacking the IT Security EnterpriseTo learn more about what organizations are doing to tackle attacks and threats we surveyed a group of 300 IT and infosec professionals to find out what their biggest IT security challenges are and what they're doing to defend against today's threats. Download the report to see what they're saying.
IT Strategies to Conquer the CloudChances are your organization is adopting cloud computing in one way or another -- or in multiple ways. Understanding the skills you need and how cloud affects IT operations and networking will help you adapt.