iPhone 5 Sales Up, Price Down - InformationWeek
IoT
IoT
Infrastructure // PC & Servers
News
12/21/2012
01:22 PM
Connect Directly
Facebook
Google+
LinkedIn
Twitter
RSS
E-Mail
50%
50%
RELATED EVENTS
7 Key Cloud Security Trends Shaping 2017 & Beyond
Dec 15, 2016
Cloud computing is enabling business transformation as organizations accelerate time to market and ...Read More>>

iPhone 5 Sales Up, Price Down

A new research report shows Apple with a majority of the smartphone market in the United States, but lagging behind Samsung and other Android vendors abroad. In spite of U.S. dominance, Apple is allowing discounts to its newest iPhone. The same research shows Nokia's fortunes turning in Great Britain, although less so among younger buyers.

Consumer research company Kantar Worldpanel is reporting that the iPhone had a majority smartphone market share in the United States in the 12 week period ending November 25. The sales were, no doubt, boosted by the new iPhone 5, which became available to the public 18 days into that period.

Kantar Worldpanel notes that Android is still dominant in Europe and IDC reports that Android has a 68.3% smartphone market share worldwide. If all the numbers are correct, they would indicate that Apple's dominance in the US is atypical.

Then again, we have also seen contradictory reports, including iSuppli's report of Samsung having a 28% smartphone market share to Apple's 20%. iSuppli must have different criteria for measuring the smartphone market, as their list of the top 5 companies — Samsung, Apple, Nokia, HTC and RIM — total up only 63%. Who are the other 37%?

In recent days, Apple has also moved to allow deep discounting of iPhones through retailers. As reported by dealnews.com, Fry's Electronics is selling the 16GB iPhone 5 for $126 (with a 2 year contract), one-upping Walmart's $127. The list price is $199. Discounting a hot seller is an odd move for anyone, let alone Apple.

The Kantar report also shows Nokia's sales in Great Britain on the upswing, especially with aggressively-priced prepaid contract phones.

Comment  | 
Print  | 
More Insights
Comments
Newest First  |  Oldest First  |  Threaded View
How Enterprises Are Attacking the IT Security Enterprise
How Enterprises Are Attacking the IT Security Enterprise
To learn more about what organizations are doing to tackle attacks and threats we surveyed a group of 300 IT and infosec professionals to find out what their biggest IT security challenges are and what they're doing to defend against today's threats. Download the report to see what they're saying.
Register for InformationWeek Newsletters
White Papers
Current Issue
Top IT Trends to Watch in Financial Services
IT pros at banks, investment houses, insurance companies, and other financial services organizations are focused on a range of issues, from peer-to-peer lending to cybersecurity to performance, agility, and compliance. It all matters.
Video
Slideshows
Twitter Feed
InformationWeek Radio
Archived InformationWeek Radio
Join us for a roundup of the top stories on InformationWeek.com for the week of November 6, 2016. We'll be talking with the InformationWeek.com editors and correspondents who brought you the top stories of the week to get the "story behind the story."
Sponsored Live Streaming Video
Everything You've Been Told About Mobility Is Wrong
Attend this video symposium with Sean Wisdom, Global Director of Mobility Solutions, and learn about how you can harness powerful new products to mobilize your business potential.
Flash Poll