Infrastructure // PC & Servers
News
12/21/2012
01:22 PM
Connect Directly
Twitter
Facebook
Google+
LinkedIn
RSS
E-Mail
50%
50%

iPhone 5 Sales Up, Price Down

A new research report shows Apple with a majority of the smartphone market in the United States, but lagging behind Samsung and other Android vendors abroad. In spite of U.S. dominance, Apple is allowing discounts to its newest iPhone. The same research shows Nokia's fortunes turning in Great Britain, although less so among younger buyers.

Consumer research company Kantar Worldpanel is reporting that the iPhone had a majority smartphone market share in the United States in the 12 week period ending November 25. The sales were, no doubt, boosted by the new iPhone 5, which became available to the public 18 days into that period.

Kantar Worldpanel notes that Android is still dominant in Europe and IDC reports that Android has a 68.3% smartphone market share worldwide. If all the numbers are correct, they would indicate that Apple's dominance in the US is atypical.

Then again, we have also seen contradictory reports, including iSuppli's report of Samsung having a 28% smartphone market share to Apple's 20%. iSuppli must have different criteria for measuring the smartphone market, as their list of the top 5 companies — Samsung, Apple, Nokia, HTC and RIM — total up only 63%. Who are the other 37%?

In recent days, Apple has also moved to allow deep discounting of iPhones through retailers. As reported by dealnews.com, Fry's Electronics is selling the 16GB iPhone 5 for $126 (with a 2 year contract), one-upping Walmart's $127. The list price is $199. Discounting a hot seller is an odd move for anyone, let alone Apple.

The Kantar report also shows Nokia's sales in Great Britain on the upswing, especially with aggressively-priced prepaid contract phones.

Comment  | 
Print  | 
More Insights
Server Market Splitsville
Server Market Splitsville
Just because the server market's in the doldrums doesn't mean innovation has ceased. Far from it -- server technology is enjoying the biggest renaissance since the dawn of x86 systems. But the primary driver is now service providers, not enterprises.
Register for InformationWeek Newsletters
White Papers
Current Issue
InformationWeek Tech Digest, Dec. 9, 2014
Apps will make or break the tablet as a work device, but don't shortchange critical factors related to hardware, security, peripherals, and integration.
Video
Slideshows
Twitter Feed
InformationWeek Radio
Archived InformationWeek Radio
Join us for a roundup of the top stories on InformationWeek.com for the week of December 7, 2014. Be here for the show and for the incredible Friday Afternoon Conversation that runs beside the program!
Sponsored Live Streaming Video
Everything You've Been Told About Mobility Is Wrong
Attend this video symposium with Sean Wisdom, Global Director of Mobility Solutions, and learn about how you can harness powerful new products to mobilize your business potential.