April 28, 1999
Stock & Roll At H&Q Conference
By the end of this evening's party at the 27th annual Hambrecht & Quist Technology Conference in San Francisco, attendees will have had two ways to measure how well the financial-services firm can keep a beat.
H&Q analysts marked the halfway point of the conference yesterday by announcing their best stock picks among the participating technology companies. Tonight, rockers from H&Q and other companies will participate in an "Industry Battle of the Bands."
"We just decided that rock 'n roll and technology go so well together that we had to put this show together," says Christina Morgan, a managing director at H&Q. The bands will include the Flying Other Brothers (H&Q managing director Giles McNamee and brother Roger of Integrated Capital Partners); and the Raving Daves (PeopleSoft CEO Dave Duffield and other PeopleSoft officials). The show for conference attendees is set for 6:30 p.m. at San Francisco's Great American Music Hall.
As for H&Q's stock picks, some of the companies that the firm's top analysts expect to make beautiful music for investors in the coming 12 months include: Advent Software, Amazon.com, America Online, Citrix, CMGI, First Consulting, i2 Technologies, Inktomi, Lycos, Microsoft, Mercury Interactive, Network Solutions, Pixar, Profit Recovery Group, Rational Software, Remedy Software, Siebel, VeriSign, and Whitman-Hart.
H&Q analyst Paul Noglows may not play in any of the bands, but he's still hoping for an encore performance. Noglows selected America Online as a hot stock during last year's H&Q event. Since then, H&Q says, AOL's price has risen 600%.
-- Dominick Calicchio
Wearable PC: Suitable For NASA?
Qualcomm Takes A Quantum Leap
Week of April 19-23
Week of April 12-16
Week of April 5-9
Week of March 29-April 2
Week of March 22-26
Send news, gossip and more to FrontEnd@cmp.com
- The Language of UX: Beyond Buzzwords -
- Discover the opportunities and challenges associated with mobile retail - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Get practical strategies to build a solid plan for profitability and success - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Delve into technologies and business issues around mobile payments and wallets - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Explore best practices for marketers in the new mobile world - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Meeting the Unilever eScience Challenges: To out-compute is to out-compete
- How to Automate CE 2.0 Service Delivery
- BYOD and Windows 7 Migration are the Questions. Is Desktop as a Service the Answer?
- Intelligent Management of WAS Applications: Reduce Cost, Complexity, and Errors
- Data Center Performance: Optimization Secrets Revealed
This Week's Issue