Children's Hospital of PhiladelphiaAs is the case for most healthcare systems, security at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) is a top priority. With that in mind, the hospital recently established an IT and business team to develop a new role-based security system as part of a larger Epic EHR implementation project.
Role-based security is based on the scope of practice (i.e., role) of each clinician working at the hospital. So clinicians would gain access to various components of the EHR system based on their scope of practice, which varies among MDs, RNs, LPNs, and so on. Each role required that the hospital create templates within Epic. In total, the system had to accommodate 9,000+ users and nearly 500 roles.
To reach its goal, the project team developed a custom table within the hospital's HR database and mapped a user's job title and department to his or her Epic role template. Given the large number of users and various roles involved, CHOP incorporated Epic templates that supported multiple departments and clinical units so a user can be anywhere in CHOP's Care Network and still have the same level of access to support patient care.
The project has borne fruit: It has significantly reduced user-specific access to key clinical systems by linking 89% of active users to role templates. Epic also reported that the overall Epic Acute implementation was the most successful in its history.
- Secure your mobile applications in the new commerce era - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Learn how to move your broadband service to an All-IP network at TelcoVision (formerly TelcoTV) - TelcoVision
- Get practical information on how to develop your organization's mobile commerce application - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Get practical strategies to build a solid plan for profitability and success - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Delve into technologies and business issues around mobile payments and wallets - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- The Intelligent WAN: How to Keep Your Network from Becoming the New Weak Link
- Serving Two Masters: The Secret to Successful Identity and Access Management Deployment
- Cloud Perception vs. Reality - It's not TCO or TCA, it's the cost of information that really counts
- Maximize your storage investment: Welcome to data's next stage of evolution...
- Do BYOD the Right Way
- HP BYOD in Education
- Bank Improves Crisis Management Communications with Help from BlackBerry
- The Impact Of Poor Web Site Performance In Financial Services
- Always Open: Why the Performance of Online Insurance Matters More Than Ever
- CA Interactive IT Executive Series: Application Lifecycle Management Part 1