Video surveillance played a key role in identifying the suspects in Monday's tragic Boston Marathon bombing, setting a precedent for increasing...
Cybersecurity bill's backers portray threat intelligence sharing as a panacea, but yet again ignore the potential privacy and security downsides.
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is using 1960s era technology to manage a 21st century problem. When will this get fixed?
Recent cases highlight serious flaws in current privacy and cyber abuse legislation, allowing prosecutors to wield a hammer when a stick will do.
White House plan will work only if the IT systems and databases used for background checks and gun tracing get the improvements needed to support...
Pointing to startup failures is a lame excuse for clinging to the status quo and mediocrity in an IT organization.
Government 2.0 is about more than social media. It requires throwing out outdated processes and adopting new models of success.
Comprehensive IT strategy promises efficiency and increased collaboration, but the required cultural changes could be jarring.
Social Media in the Public Sector Field Guide provides practical advice for government technology, policy, and communications leaders.
The looming issue in big data isn't technology but the privacy and ethics decisions associated with how, when and if results should be provided.
Governor blames data breach on Russian hackers and the IRS, but states' by-the-book IT ethos shows rules and regulations are the real culprit.
Unlike the disappointing tech startups of the late 1990s, healthcare IT will continue to grow because it addresses problems the medical industry...
City planners and their IT teams are setting big goals -- and facing big challenges -- in the development of tech-enabled "Future Cities," our...
First four years of the Obama Administration were marked by the beginnings of significant changes in federal IT. Execution will be the name of the...
From infrastructure to tech education, here's what I want to see on the to-do list for the next four years.
NASA, the Department of Defense, and other federal agencies are shifting toward more strategic and complex cloud applications, as they try to...
Top government IT officials will discuss their plans to implement cloud computing and save money at the GovCloud 2012 conference in Washington.
Fear of failure breeds failure. CIOs must help change this dynamic as private and public sector minds work together on unlocking government big data.
The president's record on IT strategy is long on vision but short on results.
Many people will watch the debates on TV--plus follow along on social networking, candidate, and news sites. Here are some of the websites to hit...
Agency used agile development and private sector know-how to finish its long-delayed digital case management system.
CIOs and CMIOs can expect many more sleepless nights now that the Supreme Court has upheld the Affordable Care Act.
Campaign jabs at Mitt Romney notwithstanding, the evidence suggests the President wants to use outsourcing to boost ties with India and level the...
Some lawmakers accuse Obama administration of failing to manage its secrets, but Stuxnet now stands as a warning of America's cyber-warfare...
Supreme Court's upcoming decision on healthcare reform and feds' Meaningful Use Stage 2 final rules add up to a heated summer for healthcare IT execs.
Government Newsletter Sign Up
Keep up with the latest developments in the Government IT space. Learn about the latest technologies, the latest legislative developments, career issues, case studies and more every Thursday.Sign Up
May 20, 2013
The most influential and accomplished public sector IT leaders find ways to innovate while being cost efficient.
May 17, 2013
On one-year anniversary of Digital Government Strategy initiative, federal CIO asks IT execs to find new ways to cut operating costs to support...
May 16, 2013
GAO recommends stepped up oversight and an extended deadline to meet OMB's objectives.
May 16, 2013
White House order means agencies will need to give more attention to data lifecycle management.
May 16, 2013
H-1B is just one of the hot-button issues in the immigration reform act now being debated by the Senate Judiciary Committee. But it is the one...
May 14, 2013
Success in national security is measured by how well the government collaborates with partners and customers, says Gen. Keith Alexander, Commander...
May 10, 2013
After a four-week break, the Mars rover gears up for a second rock drilling.
May 09, 2013
In an important move toward an open government, President Obama orders agencies to make their data available to the public in open,...
May 09, 2013
Former British government IT and EMC U.K. executive Bill McCluggage will lead national IT strategy for Ireland.
May 08, 2013
Richard Spires, head of the Department of Homeland Security's IT operations, stepped down from his position on May 7.
- Secure your mobile applications in the new commerce era - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Get practical information on how to develop your organization's mobile commerce application - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Get practical strategies to build a solid plan for profitability and success - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Explore best practices for marketers in the new mobile world - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Learn how to best integrate mobile commerce with your current systems -- Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Building a Hybrid Cloud in Government: It's not that Complicated
- Developing a Mobile Nation...And delivering it faster with agile
- Making nurses mobile: why and how?
- The view is better up here: breaking through barriers to Cloud
- Single Source of Truth for Managing Critical Assets Application Consolidation across Public Sector Organizations
This Week's Issue
Free Print SubscriptionSubscribe
Current Government Issue
- The Government CIO 25: These influential and accomplished government IT leaders are finding ways to be cost efficient and still innovate.
- Rethink Video Surveillance: It's not just about networked cameras anymore. New technology provides analytics, automation, facial recognition, real-time alerts and situational-awareness capabilities.
- Read the Current Issue
- Forrester Whitepaper: IT Operations Managers Must Rethink Their Approach to Private Cloud
- The Cloud - Inevitable, But Not Ambiguous
- Bloomberg BusinessWeek Agility for Differentiation
- Mobile Data Center Brings the Mobile Cloud to Life: Portable, Mobile Data Centers Aligned with Army Operations
- Edge Virtual Server Infrastructure