healthcare: Electronic Medical Records
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center CIO John Halamka blogs on risk planning and data sharing in wake of the Boston Marathon bombing.
Anyone who deploys tech "solutions" without reconsidering workflows and policies -- and doing other heavy lifting -- is in for a rude awakening.
Healthcare and other companies will have to push more development of the technology they'll need for the challenges ahead.
New primary care model gains momentum as payers see cost-cutting potential and consumers demand better service.
Latest RAND report suggests we might be throwing taxpayer dollars away on EHRs and other healthcare IT systems.
Unlike the disappointing tech startups of the late 1990s, healthcare IT will continue to grow because it addresses problems the medical industry...
CPOE and clinical decision support won't help you get in shape or spend more time with the family, but they should be among your New Year's...
America's patient safety record is a source of embarrassment that angers both clinicians and patients. The right IT tools can help mitigate the...
Hurricane Sandy took many lives and caused billions of dollars in damage. But so does a healthcare system that still refuses to embrace...
Not everyone is impressed with the latest health IT megatrend. At least one prominent critic says payment reform should take precedence.
Partnership with Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center suggests IBM's supercomputer is ready to help oncologists manage their most challenging cases.
Genuine healthcare reform can't happen until facilities and doctors get patients more involved in their own care. To do that, patients need fast...
Mobile technology could play a huge role in meeting the federal MU regulations, but the Stage 2 rulebook virtually ignores this potential.
Credible sources are raising serious concerns about the value of health IT. Some, but not all, of their criticism is warranted.
Recent Wall Street Journal commentary ripped into health IT, but the critics offered very little in the way of viable solutions.
Recent health IT initiatives are forcing many frustrated clinicians to take early retirement. IT leaders need to realize that our national...
Accountable care organizations rely on software tools to deliver cost-effective care. But ACOs may be built on a shaky foundation.
This large Massachusetts group practice has made medical data exchange a top priority by establishing a centralized Web portal with area hospitals.
Medication alerts are supposed to ensure patient safety, but clinicians ignore them when bombarded with too many. This dilemma needs to be solved.
Look for growth in mobile health, telemedicine, clinical analytics, and personal health records—and an EHR vendor shakeout.
Innovative approach to medical data analysis can yield new treatment options at a lower cost.
Getting providers and IT leaders to think in terms of population health, not just about the patient in the office, is challenging but doable.
Don't expect much help after signing on the dotted line for a new electronic help record system. EHR vendors' resources are stretched thin as they...
Several thought leaders are pushing the PHM approach to healthcare, but we need more sophisticated EHRs and clinical analytics systems to make it...
What's the sense of having IT systems in place that can help cut medical costs if physicians ignore the price tag of the care they provide?
Healthcare Newsletter Sign Up
The latest news, analysis, research, and insight on the IT strategies and initiatives of hospitals, clinics, doctors' offices, and other medical facilities every Wednesday.Sign Up
May 20, 2013
Deloitte survey contrasts with other data that finds near-universal adoption, reports EHR resisters tend to be older and solo practitioners.
May 17, 2013
Hopkins physician Jay Sanders, known as the father of telemedicine, says emphasis should be on changing patient behavior.
May 17, 2013
Boston Children's Hospital's pioneering approach would bar parents from seeing sensitive portions of their children's personal health records.
May 17, 2013
American Medical Association report finds that doctors who use EHRs during exams can maintain a good relationship with patients as long as...
May 14, 2013
As value-based payments take hold, insurers aim to access EHR clinical data and move to automated, real-time information exchange.
May 13, 2013
Framework aims to simplify writing interfaces between healthcare information systems, help researchers gather clinical data from EHRs.
May 13, 2013
Agency seeks feedback on interoperability efforts in the field while continuing to guide private sector's efforts.
May 13, 2013
Innovation is tough amid today's regulatory checklists. These leaders are getting it done.
May 10, 2013
Surescripts annual report shows 38% growth in electronic prescribing in 2012, plus growing use of online medication histories and benefit data.
May 09, 2013
Telemedicine expert Rashid Bashshur says mobile health technologies must integrate with EHRs to make accountable care organizations work.
- Secure your mobile applications in the new commerce era - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Get practical information on how to develop your organization's mobile commerce application - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Delve into technologies and business issues around mobile payments and wallets - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Explore best practices for marketers in the new mobile world - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Learn how to best integrate mobile commerce with your current systems -- Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Automating Hospital Workflows That Maximize Efficiency And Patient Satisfaction
- How Healthcare Payers are using Customer Communications to Improve Productivity and Effectiveness
- Mobility Management Ailments: A Healthcare IT Cure Lessons from HiMSS13
- Redefining Value and Success in Healthcare: Charting the Path to the Future
- Will Your State Deliver a Modernized Medicaid Program by 2014?
This Week's Issue
Free Print SubscriptionSubscribe
Current Government Issue
- The Government CIO 25: These influential and accomplished government IT leaders are finding ways to be cost efficient and still innovate.
- Rethink Video Surveillance: It's not just about networked cameras anymore. New technology provides analytics, automation, facial recognition, real-time alerts and situational-awareness capabilities.
- Read the Current Issue
- The Value of Analytics in Healthcare
- Redefining Value in Healthcare: Innovation to expand access, improve quality and reduce costs of care
- Enabling Healthcare Transformation with Social Business
- The Case for Smarter Healthcare
- Medicare or Medicaid: Getting on the right path to Federal EHR incentives