A photo Google released last week showing servers in one of its facilities. Click for larger version of the image. (Photo: Google)
Amazon.com (AMZN) is likely to spin off its cloud computing arm, Amazon Web Services, says Oppenheimer.In a report on the cloud industry released Monday, Oppenheimer analyst Tim Horan says Amazon's cloud computing unit would be better off as a publicly traded subsidiary."We believe an ultimate spinoff of AWS is inevitable due to its channel conflicts and the need to gain scale," Horan wrote. " We see the business as extremely valuable on a stand-alone basis, possibly even operating as a REIT (real estate investment trust)."To date, public cloud users, including online retailers, have had few alternatives when utilizing the cloud, other than to
- I Can See Clearly Now - E2 Conference Boston
- Get practical strategies to build a solid plan for profitability and success - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Learn how to enage customers through mobility - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Learn how to best integrate mobile commerce with your current systems -- Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- How to Choose a SaaS Vendor - E2 Conference Boston
This Week's Issue
Free Print SubscriptionSubscribe
Current Government Issue
- The Government CIO 25: These influential and accomplished government IT leaders are finding ways to be cost efficient and still innovate.
- Rethink Video Surveillance: It's not just about networked cameras anymore. New technology provides analytics, automation, facial recognition, real-time alerts and situational-awareness capabilities.
- Read the Current Issue