For a long time now, cloud pundits – service providers, boosters, analysts, vendors, and other mostly vested interests – have stood behind a curtain of “downtime happens, design for failure” when assessing cloud outages.It seems that with every new failure, the self-styled clouderati repeatedly implore IT leaders to believe that, despite what we are seeing with our own eyes on an almost weekly basis, cloud providers are better at IT than you are.Over and over, the pundits’ response is a yet another chorus of, “Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!” Rather, CIOs and others are implored to simply trust the great and powerful Oz (or is
Last August, Google (GOOG) Chief Executive Officer Larry Page fulfilled a pledge made to one of his senior executives, a square-jawed former attorney named Dennis Woodside. Apple (AAPL) CEO Tim Cook had been trying to poach Woodside to make him Appleâs head of sales, but Google had convinced Woodside to stay, in part
Dow Jones Reprints: This copy is for your personal, non-commercial use only. To order presentation-ready copies for distribution to your colleagues, clients or customers, use the Order Reprints tool at the bottom of any article or visit www.djreprints.com
Rackspace Hosting has been testing the new technology called softwaredefined networking for the past two years at its commercial data centers.
A new approach to computer networking promises to refashion the data center, creating a crop of start-ups
May 22, 2012, 12:00 AM — Cloud computing may be the biggest thing ever to hit IT, but not for good solid technical reasons, and not because it gives IT the chance to show it really does know what their companies really need from technology to make the business shine.
Unfortunately, it's finance, not technology driving the market for and implementations of cloud. It is also business units, not IT, that is driving adoption of cloud and the drastic changes to which IT is more observer than driving force.
- Get practical information on how to develop your organization's mobile commerce application - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Delve into technologies and business issues around mobile payments and wallets - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Learn how to best integrate mobile commerce with your current systems -- Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- The E2 Social Business Leaders - E2 Conference Boston - E2 Conference Boston
- Evaluating Emerging Technologies for the Enterprise - E2 Conference Boston
This Week's Issue
Free Print SubscriptionSubscribe
Current Government Issue
- The Government CIO 25: These influential and accomplished government IT leaders are finding ways to be cost efficient and still innovate.
- Rethink Video Surveillance: It's not just about networked cameras anymore. New technology provides analytics, automation, facial recognition, real-time alerts and situational-awareness capabilities.
- Read the Current Issue