Mozilla chief privacy officer Alex Fowler relayed a vivid anecdote last week during RSA Conference 2013 that illustrates the lengths third parties such as advertisers, data brokers and others who traffic in users’ online behavior will go to track you once you land on a website.Fowler said that in his typical daily web surfing across four popular online destinations, nearly 120 third-party domains were able to track him, dropping more than 300 cookies onto his machine. All of this is perfectly legal and convolutedly spelled out in privacy policies, but most users are oblivious to how much information is collected about their surfing habits and
The internet around the world has been slowed down in what security experts are describing as the biggest cyber-attack in history.A row between a spam-fighting group and hosting firm has sparked retaliation attacks flooding core infrastructure.It is having an impact on widely used services like Netflix - and experts worry it could escalate to affect banking and email services.Spamhaus, a group based in both London and Geneva, is a non-profit organisation which aims to help email providers filter out spam and other unwanted content.To do this, the group maintains a number of blocklists - a database of servers known to be being used for malicious
Posted on 11 February 2013. | Bit9, a firm that provides software reputation, application control and whitelisting services to financial, IT and government sectors, has suffered a breach.Posted on 11 February 2013. | The growth in cloud storage devices means that corporate IT departments are now at the mercy of consumer-based applications, as more and more employees look to take their work out of the office and offline.Posted on 8 February 2013. | Are you that person to whom everybody turns for advice on how to keep secure online? Point them towards online tests where they can learn and test their knowledge by themselves.Posted on 8 February
Posted on 22 February 2013. | Check Point uncovered the major security risks and threats that impact organizations worldwide.Posted on 22 February 2013. | In the past year, 75 percent of mobile phishing URLs were rogue versions of well-known banking or financial sites, warns Trend Micro.Posted on 21 February 2013. | McAfee Labs revealed that sophisticated attacks originally targeting the financial services industry are now increasingly directed at other critical sectors of the economy.Posted on 21 February 2013. | The goal of these attacks is simple, but the techniques the attackers use and the speed and determination with which they
- Digital Disruption - E2 Conference Boston
- The Language of UX: Beyond Buzzwords -
- Delve into technologies and business issues around mobile payments and wallets - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Learn how to best integrate mobile commerce with your current systems -- Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Mobile Connect - E2 Conference Boston - E2 Conference Boston
- The Untapped Potential of Mobile Apps for Commercial Customers
- The Next Generation ESB: Why Integration is the Foundation for Better Business
- Secure Cloud: Taking Advantage of the Intelligent WAN
- Augment your data warehouse with big data solutions
- Real-Time Analytics: Big Data. Real Answers. Big Impact.
This Week's Issue
Free Print SubscriptionSubscribe
Current Government Issue
- The Government CIO 25: These influential and accomplished government IT leaders are finding ways to be cost efficient and still innovate.
- Rethink Video Surveillance: It's not just about networked cameras anymore. New technology provides analytics, automation, facial recognition, real-time alerts and situational-awareness capabilities.
- Read the Current Issue