This is just the sort of cool technical tip that saves your bacon when it’s lodged somewhere in your mind: What happens when the VMware ESXi RAMdisk gets full? Here’s Tom Howarth’s account…
After upgrading to ESXi 5 we saw several instances of host instability as the Ramdisk ram out of space, symptoms including :-
I’m not sure that everyone would agree that Storage DRS is the most exciting new feature in vSphere 5, but it’s certainly in the top 10. Here’s Duncan Epping’s overview of Storage DRS and datastore clusters. Nice video too!
vSphere 5.0 introduces many great new features, but everyone will probably agree with us that vSphere Storage DRS is most the exciting new feature.
He observed: “Server vendors put DAS (direct-attached storage) in servers. Storage vendors put compute in storage. Over time these hybrid configurations will get more workloads.”
A great little piece on NIC teaming with Windows. Aidan Finn says his mind is changed now that it’s included in Windows Server 2012 and fully supported for Hyper-V and failover clustering.
True, MSFT hasn’t had NIC teaming and there’s a KB article which says they don’t support it. NIC teaming is something that the likes of HP, Dell, Intel and Broadcom provided using their software. If you had a problem, MSFT might ask you to remove it. And guess what, just about every networking issue I’ve heard on on
Overall, CloudStack is better packaged for enterprise adoption, especially in environments not already familiar with open source. Its installation packaging and customizable admin/end-user portal are designed for quick, scalable adoption of the private cloud. OpenStack, on the other hand, can be best described as a foundation or framework for cloud computing, not nearly as polished.
As if it wasn’t obvious already that SSD is the most controversial topic in enterprise storage, here’s Howard Marks and Robin Harris with a great back-and-forth about array architecture. We can’t wait to read the continuing exchange!
Building storage arrays from SSDs is opportunistic, not strategic. It isn’t the future for high-end storage, but less-demanding mid-markets may not care.
Do SSDs have a future in the all-solid-state array market? They sure do. Could a vendor looking for performance at all costs eek a few more IOPS and a few fewer microseconds of latency from custom modules? Probably, but I wonder if it will turn out
Two solid pieces by Joel Knight bring up facts and features of Cisco FabricPath and Brocade VCS. It’s nice to see this information so concisely presented, from topology to pros and cons. Good work, Joel!
A group of independent thought leaders from the Networking Field Day/PacketPushers crew gathered at Cisco Live US 2012 to discuss the company’s Open Networking Environment (ONE) announcement. This announcement centered on a strategy for software-defined networking (SDN), and this was the focus of our discussion as well.
SNIA’s 9th annual SDC 2012 will again be held in Santa Clara on September 17 – 20, 2012. Now is the time to put the time and resources aside to attend this invaluable conference!
SDC registration is now open. Plan to attend and register today. Special discounts available for SNIA members.
SDC 2011 Presentations Now Available! Click here to download files and view online videos of many presentations.
This meter represents your reputation at a 100% scale based on your level of participation on the site.
Find out more
I am happy to announce another Virtual Symposium, this time on the topic of virtual machine networking. We will be holding it on July 25th from 9am to 10am Pacifc Time.
- The Language of UX: Beyond Buzzwords -
- Get practical information on how to develop your organization's mobile commerce application - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Get practical strategies to build a solid plan for profitability and success - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Delve into technologies and business issues around mobile payments and wallets - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Learn how to enage customers through mobility - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- How to Start Your Big Data Journey
- Meeting the Unilever eScience Challenges: To out-compute is to out-compete
- Smarter Mobile Security: Securing BYOD
- Accelerate Agility Now: WebSphere Application Server v8.5.5 Overview
- Intelligent Management of WAS Applications: Reduce Cost, Complexity, and Errors
This Week's Issue
- Metzler: The 2013 Application and Service Delivery Handbook
- Comparison of Cisco and ShoreTel Unified Communication Solutions
- Don't Get Stuck on Your Virtualization Journey: Where to Focus Next
- How Virtualization is Key to Managing Risk
- Real World Considerations for Implementing Desktop Virtualization eBook