Flash memory is taking the data center world by storm and creating disruptive opportunities to challenge the status quo, overcoming the capacity challenges of RAM and the performance challenges of hard disks to enable innovative new architectures.
This article discusses several different real-world use cases for SQL Server, MySQL web scale, and performance scale up within a turnkey appliance.
When flash is placed within the server, as close to the CPU as possible (i.e. natively on the PCI Express bus), the mediaâs microsecond latencies enables
What with everyone else jumping on the Hadoop bandwagon at Strata this week, Intel clearly doesn’t want to be left out. But instead of simply joining the club, the chip maker seems to have stolen the show altogether, announcing its own Apache Hadoop distribution this morning at an invitation only event.Intel said that it plans to offer its very own flavor of Hadoop, the hugely popular open-source Big Data software that allows applications to be run on large clusters of servers.“We’re in an era of generating huge amounts of data, but the key point is not what we get out of it” explained Boyd Davis, VP of Intel’s Architecture Group.Rather, Boyd
Numerous sources have confirmed that Evan Powell, CEO of Santa Clara-based Nexenta will step down today as CEO under undisclosed circumstances. He assumes the position of CSO in the company and had served as its CEO since 2007. Privately held and founded in 2005, the company brings an open philosophy to software-defined storage and uses its community model to become a storage force. Network storage veteran Bridget Warwick also joins the company as its CMO, chief marketing officer.Nexenta has been making waves with major partnerships and touts over 5000 customers, with an emphasis in the finance sector. Their total sales are approaching half
Rackspace shelled out an undisclosed sum for Exceptional Cloud Services, a San-Francisco-based startup that develops solution for Redis. Redis is a popular open source key-value store that is designed to support large databases which process transactions at very rapid speeds – in other words, Big Data.As a part of the deal, Rackspace is acquiring the rights for Exceptional Cloud Services’ three software products: the Exceptional.io error tracking engine, a supplementary visualization platform called Airbrake.io, and the Redis to Go management automation framework. The company says that these solutions are used by over 50,000 developers worldwide.
Remember the days when tech-support told you to âdefragâ your PC when RAM was low causing your desktop to take far too long to boot-up and run applications? Remember how long that process would take? You, like me, probably had to leave the PC running overnight to complete the process.
Good news is those days are long gone thanks to modern operating systems and solutions. Bad news is the enterprises we work for â and are relying on daily for products, services and more â are still operating in this format to conduct daily IT tasks. Imagine how long processes take for media companies, cell phone carriers or even your toothpaste
IMB has just announced its plans to embrace OpenStack in an effort to help enterprises better balance private and public cloud resources. The new initiative will see Big Blue switching all of its cloud services and software to open-cloud architecture, allowing customers to easily alternate between equipment and service vendors, and do away with any worries of vendor lock in.To get the ball rolling in this newest venture, IBM plans to set up a new private cloud service based on OpenStack, which will be introduced alongside new software called SmartCloud Monitoring Application Insight that’s able to monitor cloud application availability and progress
- The Language of UX: Beyond Buzzwords -
- Get practical information on how to develop your organization's mobile commerce application - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Get practical strategies to build a solid plan for profitability and success - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Delve into technologies and business issues around mobile payments and wallets - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Learn how to enage customers through mobility - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- How to Start Your Big Data Journey
- Meeting the Unilever eScience Challenges: To out-compute is to out-compete
- Smarter Mobile Security: Securing BYOD
- Accelerate Agility Now: WebSphere Application Server v8.5.5 Overview
- Intelligent Management of WAS Applications: Reduce Cost, Complexity, and Errors
This Week's Issue
- Metzler: The 2013 Application and Service Delivery Handbook
- Comparison of Cisco and ShoreTel Unified Communication Solutions
- Don't Get Stuck on Your Virtualization Journey: Where to Focus Next
- How Virtualization is Key to Managing Risk
- Real World Considerations for Implementing Desktop Virtualization eBook