Looking for the perfect platform for online storage (cloud ), I found COPY .com, a service just launched by Barracuda Networks, a well-known provider of network security and anti-spam.
The first thing that catches the attention of COPY .com is that their referral system is incredible. Since they are new on this segment, they want to make sure that everyone will be looking for Copy.com and to do that they had the bright idea of giving away a free 15GB account But if you sign up through a referral link (like mine here), you can get 20 GB of free space instead of 15!
The nest part does not end there: for every person who installs and registers COPY through their referral link, validates email address and installs the client software Copy.com will credit 5 GB of additional space to you and to the new subscriber. For the moment the space you can get for free is UNLIMITES, so take advantage now if you need online storage space: DO YOU NOW before they change their mind!
In all features, COPY is very similar to Dropbox: you have a centralized folder where everything that moves or copy into is automatically uploaded to the cloud service of Copy.com and synchronized between all of the computers where we will have installed it. You can access your files from iOS devices, Windows, MacOS , Linux, Android, everything is transferred over SSL and encrypted on their servers, which use a combination of public and private key and AES 256.
But there are some specific details that make it unique Copy.com:
- you do not need to copy or move the files in the root folder of necessity: this was the requirement required to Dropbox for a long time, and Copy.com does it very well. Just create a shortcut to any folder into your Copy folder and all content in the destination folder will be synchronized and backed up online as well, staying in its original place in your hard drive! So just leave things where they are and simply create shortcuts, it works perfectly. Strangely, this is not advertised as a main feature on their site.
- You can set permissions for shared files. For example, you can set a user to be able to "edit and synchronize" or "Read Only".
- Fair Condivision: If you want to share a folder, the amount of space used is "charged" dividing it among the members participating in the group. So if you share a folder of 50 GB among 5 people their space will not be deducted 50Gb each (like Dropbox does ) but only 10 each (⅕ of 50Gb). To explain this with an example:
- User A wants to share a file of 50GB with User B - User A and B both have user accounts 100Gb.
- User B synchronizes the file. The 2 users then see only 25 GB of space used for this specific action .
- User A decides to share again with another user , user C.
- The user decides to synchronize C and now everyone sees this action by using about 16GB of space.
If you need a lot of space, their plans are very attractive. But before you run out of your 15 or 20 Gb free (if you register by clicking here: https://copy.com?r=oB79am) it will take a long time!
- Security: being a service offered by Barracuda Networks, which has always worked on security products , I think this is a must for Copy.com.
Try it yourself, you get 15 GB free at Copy.com directly or even better get 20 GB free if you sign up by clicking here: https://copy.com?r=oB79am. Let us know on the comments what you think of the service.
Note: To make sure you get the 20 GB :
1) Register by clicking here: https://copy.com?r=oB79am.
2 ) Validate your email address by clicking on email sent by Copy.com ( check your spam folder if you do not ) .
3 ) Install the client software on your computer and log in at least once.