Emergency Room Waits Worth AdvertisingHealthcare services provider HCA's East Florida division is so sure patients won't have to spend a long time waiting to see a doctor at its emergency rooms, it advertises average wait times on digital billboards around communities where its hospitals and surgery centers are located.
The billboards evolved out of an effort to streamline the workflow in the East Florida division's emergency services department. The division developed software that extracts ER wait times and averages them over a rolling four-hour window. This gave staff a way to easily monitor workflow and wait times.
Once that was accomplished, the division decided to make wait-time data available to the communities it served. Using RSS feeds, it posted wait times on its hospital Web sites, created an iPhone app and provided text messages, along with the billboard messages.
"This type of transparency is not common in the hospital industry and required great confidence in our emergency services operations," says HCA, which runs 163 hospitals and 105 surgery centers in 20 states.
Generally, 65% of a hospital's inpatient activity is derived from ER admissions. The ER wait-time service is credited with helping increase emergency room admissions at HCA's East Florida division by nearly 7%.
- Learn how to move your broadband service to an All-IP network at TelcoVision (formerly TelcoTV) - TelcoVision
- The Language of UX: Beyond Buzzwords -
- Discover the opportunities and challenges associated with mobile retail - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Delve into technologies and business issues around mobile payments and wallets - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Mobile Connect - E2 Conference Boston - E2 Conference Boston
- The Untapped Potential of Mobile Apps for Commercial Customers
- Secure Cloud: Taking Advantage of the Intelligent WAN
- Wiring Closets and Server Rooms: Critical Part of your Business
- Drive greater business value and reduce risk for SAP migration and consolidation projects
- Evolving Your Current Processes and Infrastructure to Fulfill the Requirements of ISO 26262
- Simplifying Programs for Better Performance and Reinvestment Opportunities in the Public Sector
- Mobile Device Management for Financial Services
- O'Reilly School of Technology Proves that an Education in Net Vault Backup Pays Off
- Forrester: The Total Economic Impact of VMware View
- Cybercriminals Today Mirror Legitimate Business Processes