Plan A: Bluetooth Headset | Plan B: The Crappy Little Wired Headset That Came With Your PhoneHaving a headset for your cell phone isn't really an option any more, it's pretty much a requirement. Many states have passed laws requiring use of a headset if you want to talk and drive at the same time, and even if your state doesn't demand one, you don't really want to crash while on the phone with a co-worker, do you?
On the Plan A plus side, wireless Bluetooth headsets are getting better and better, with more comfortable designs, more effective noise-cancellation technology, and better sound quality. bMighty is especially fond of the new Plantronics Voyager Pro and Aliph Jawbone Prime.
Unfortunately, Bluetooth headsets don't seem to be getting any cheaper. The Voyager Pro lists for $100, while the Jawbone Prime is $130.
If that seems a little rich for your recession-thinned blood, you can always go with a cheaper, older model. But if you really want to conserve your cash, Plan B is trying to get by with the crappy little wired headset that came free with your mobile phone.
Just about every phone comes with one in the box, and just about all of them suck. Sound quality stinks, the wires get tangled instantly, and they fall out of your ear if you so much as turn your head.
On the other hand, as mentioned, they're free.
Bottom Line: This Plan B gets an F. How you sound on the phone matters, and so does convenience when you're trying to do several things at once. If you can't afford the Bluetooth headset you really want, look around for a discounted model -- you can often find an acceptable one for less than $20. In the case of the headset that came with your phone, free is no bargain.
- The Language of UX: Beyond Buzzwords -
- Discover the opportunities and challenges associated with mobile retail - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Get practical strategies to build a solid plan for profitability and success - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Delve into technologies and business issues around mobile payments and wallets - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Explore best practices for marketers in the new mobile world - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Meeting the Unilever eScience Challenges: To out-compute is to out-compete
- How to Automate CE 2.0 Service Delivery
- BYOD and Windows 7 Migration are the Questions. Is Desktop as a Service the Answer?
- Intelligent Management of WAS Applications: Reduce Cost, Complexity, and Errors
- Data Center Performance: Optimization Secrets Revealed