White House Requires Release Of ResearchThe efforts of Anonymous and other groups calling for government reforms in the wake of Swartz's death have already started to have an effect, with the White House now saying that more federally funded research must be released for free.
Notably, the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP) announced this week that it has directed federal agencies that spend over $100 million annually "to develop plans to make the published results of federally funded research freely available to the public within one year of publication," according to a blog post by Michael Stebbins, assistant director for biotechnology at the OSTP.
"The final policy reflects substantial inputs from scientists and scientific organizations, publishers, members of Congress, and other members of the public -- over 65,000 of whom recently signed a We the People petition asking for expanded public access to the results of taxpayer-funded research," said the post.
Photo courtesy of Flickr user Poster Boy.
- Secure your mobile applications in the new commerce era - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Get practical information on how to develop your organization's mobile commerce application - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Get practical strategies to build a solid plan for profitability and success - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Learn how to best integrate mobile commerce with your current systems -- Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Learn how to move your broadband service to an All-IP network at TelcoVision (formerly TelcoTV) - TelcoVision