Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 And Galaxy Player: Visual Tour
Apple lawsuits haven't stopped Samsung from forging ahead with new additions to its lineup of Galaxy devices: the Galaxy Tab 8.9, a scaled-down version of the existing Galaxy Tab; and the Galaxy Player 4.0 and 5.0 media devices, which are essentially versions of the Galaxy S phones minus the phone components. The Player devices are powered by Android 2.35 ("Gingerbread"), and the Tab by Android 3.1 ("Honeycomb"). That said, the real buzzword for tablets these days no longer starts with an "A" (Android), but an "E" (ecosystem). Apple's iPad has an ecosystem that speaks for itself and more or less set the stage for how such things would work. Amazon's forthcoming tablet will most likely be a portal into Amazon's own ecosystems of content: its Kindle e-book library, or its Amazon Prime directory of instant video. Likewise, Samsung has put together the Music Hub, Media Hub, and Readers Hub to give Samsung device users access to 13 million tunes, 5,000 videos, and over 2.2 million books, newspapers, and magazines. It's a long shot that they'll be able to make a dent in either Apple's iTunes or Amazon as a whole, but it's becoming harder to introduce a tablet without a corresponding ecosystem of some kind--even if that ecosystem ultimately loses out to very entrenched, very vigorous competition.
View the Slideshow
10 Healthcare IT Innovators: InformationWeek 500
InformationWeek 500 healthcare companies and hospitals are using technology in inventive ways to improve care. These innovations include a unique virtual reality system for burn victims, "Smart Rooms," and a customized program to track application and system performance problems. Take a quick peek at 10 of these IT initiatives in our slideshow.
View the Slideshow
- BYOD into the Cloud: The Next Phase of Enterprise Mobility -
- Big Data: Architecting Systems at Speed - E2 Conference Boston
- Get practical information on how to develop your organization's mobile commerce application - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Mobile Connect - E2 Conference Boston - E2 Conference Boston
- How to Choose a SaaS Vendor - E2 Conference Boston
This Week's Issue
Free Print SubscriptionSubscribe
Current Government Issue
In this issue:Subscribe Now
- The Government CIO 25: These influential and accomplished government IT leaders are finding ways to be cost efficient and still innovate.
- Rethink Video Surveillance: It's not just about networked cameras anymore. New technology provides analytics, automation, facial recognition, real-time alerts and situational-awareness capabilities.
- Read the Current Issue
- HP Newsletter with Gartner Research: Maximizing Your Infrastructure through Virtualization
- Understanding Holistic Database Security 8 Steps to Successfully Securing Enterprise Data Sources
- Information Protection: The Impact Of Big Data
- A How-To Guide on Using Cloud Services for Security-Rich Data Backup
- IBM index reveals key indicators of business continuity exposure and maturity