Although venture capital funding dropped to a five-quarter low of $5.4 billion in the third quarter of last year, with 715-plus deals, deal activity recorded its second-highest tally in eight quarters, CB Insights found. The lack of any megadeals hurt the average amount, the report said. Early-stage funding for Internet companies was the strongest in the last quarter than it's been over the past five quarters, according to the study. "The primary reason for optimism is the quarter's deal strength indicating venture investors are opening their proverbial wallets," the report said. "The emergence of seed VC deals across a variety of sectors, not just Internet, also indicates a healthy early-stage investment environment."
Social media continues to garner a lot of attention from venture capitalists, as consumers' thirst for communication and sharing continues apparently unabated. Several investors also are supporting green technologies, both here and abroad, while others are investing in healthcare enterprises.
Consider our list of today's intriguing technology VCs--and the innovations that they've backed.
- Secure your mobile applications in the new commerce era - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Discover the opportunities and challenges associated with mobile retail - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Get practical information on how to develop your organization's mobile commerce application - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Get practical strategies to build a solid plan for profitability and success - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Delve into technologies and business issues around mobile payments and wallets - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- The top 10 secrets to using data mining to succeed at CRM Discover proven strategies and best practices
- More than "Just CRM" : 4 Keys to Optimizing Long-Term Loyalty and Revenue
- Windows 7: Tips and Best Practices for Simplified Migration
- Lightweight Application Development Systems Ride the Cloud: IDG Report
- Fulfilling the Lean Software Promise: Building and Running Spring Applications on VMware vFabric tc Server