Step 1: Install ESX Server
Follow the steps in Part 1, 2, and 3 of
How to Virtualize a Server to set up a test environment for your physical Windows server as a virtualized server using VMware Converter (free) and VMware Infrastructure 3 (free 60-day evaluation). By virtualizing your server in a test environment, you'll have an opportunity to evaluate how it fits your needs before putting it on your business network.
To get started, you'll need:
- One (or more) Windows server(s) running your business
- A server compatible with VMware Infrastructure 3 -- check compatibility now [PDF]
- A workstation or laptop to serve as the VMware management client (so you can access and manage your Windows server remotely once it's virtualized.
- VMware Converter -- download now [registration required]
- VMware ESX Server 3.5 -- download now [registration required]
- VMware Infrastructure Client -- download now [registration required]
First, download VMware's ESX and burn a bootable CD for your server. Then, install ESX server (on the VMware compatible server, not the server running your business) to create an ESX server and then, boot the server with the CD installed.
Skip ahead to Part 2 of How to Virtualize a Server
Skip ahead to Part 3 of How to Virtualize a Server
Don't Miss: bMighty Server How-To Center