Will Yammer Be The Next Groove?In a blog post on critical decisions related to the Yammer acquisition, Forrester Research analyst Rob Koplowitz asked, "Does Yammer become the next Groove, a bold vision of collaboration that goes to Redmond to die?"
When Microsoft acquired Groove Networks in 2005, Groove had created an impressive desktop collaboration tool with peer-to-peer file sync and an offline mode that made it attractive to the military and humanitarian organizations operating in areas with unreliable network connections. Founded by Ray Ozzie, previously famous as the creator of Lotus Notes, Groove was supposed to be a collaboration tool that would help Microsoft reinvent the workplace.
Today, the technology lives on as SharePoint WorkPlace but doesn't really have a life of its own. Koplowitz wondered "whether this will be one of so many botched acquisitions we've seen in our industry, or one of the few really good ones."
To be one of the good ones, Koplowitz believes Microsoft must allow Yammer to remain largely autonomous, maintain the cloud-only model that keeps it nimble, and fulfill the version of a service that can integrate with many enterprise systems, not just SharePoint and its kin.
- Information Streams - Going Beyond the Activity Stream - E2 Conference Boston
- Explore best practices for marketers in the new mobile world - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- The E2 Social Business Leaders - E2 Conference Boston - E2 Conference Boston
- Learn how to enage customers through mobility - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Mobile Connect - E2 Conference Boston - E2 Conference Boston
- The Untapped Potential of Mobile Apps for Commercial Customers
- Creating Value with Social Collaboration Platforms
- Agile Development: Three Pillars of Success
- Deepen Customer Satisfaction and Brand Affinity with Impactful Web Content and Microsites
- 2013 Social Media Analytics Best-Practices
- Core Systems Modernization: Harnessing the Power of Rules-Based Policy Administration
- The Oracle Insurance Survey: Overcoming IT Hurdles to Success
- The Case for Outbound Content Management
- Understanding Holistic Database Security 8 Steps to Successfully Securing Enterprise Data Sources
- Transitioning Business Continuity To The Cloud