Splunk Has The Pulse Of Machine DataSplunk got its start offering an IT tool designed to help data center managers spot and solve problems with servers, messaging queues, websites and other systems. But as the big data trend starting gathering steam, Splunk recognized that its technology could also answer all sorts of questions tied to high-scale machine data (a big factor in the company's successful 2012 IPO).
Splunk employs a unique language and its core tools are geared to IT types, but those power users can set up metrics and dashboards that business users can tap to better understand e-commerce traffic, search results, ad campaign effectiveness and other machine-data-related business conditions.
There's an overlap with Hadoop in that Splunk has its own proprietary machine-data repository, but database expert Curt Monash says Splunk is working on ways to work with Hadoop that go beyond the two-way integrations currently available. That would presumably leave Splunk free to pursue analytics while diminishing the need for redundant infrastructure. We'll be watching for that important release.
- Get practical information on how to develop your organization's mobile commerce application - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Get practical strategies to build a solid plan for profitability and success - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Learn how to move your broadband service to an All-IP network at TelcoVision (formerly TelcoTV) - TelcoVision
- Learn how to best integrate mobile commerce with your current systems -- Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Evaluating Emerging Technologies for the Enterprise - E2 Conference Boston
- Using InfoSphere Information Server to Integrate and Manage Big Data
- Why is Information Governance So Important for Modern Analytics?
- Meeting the Unilever eScience Challenges: To out-compute is to out-compete
- Accelerate Agility Now: WebSphere Application Server v8.5.5 Overview
- BYOD and Windows 7 Migration are the Questions. Is Desktop as a Service the Answer?