You don't have time for cute little Facebook quizzes. But in your grizzled IT career, an OS or two has rubbed off on you: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, or Chrome OS?
Windows 8.1: Visual Tour
(Click image for larger view and slideshow.)
Your IT career has been an odyssey from server jockey to architect to having the C-suite in your sights. You can't help but see the parallel in how end-user computing's evolved from clunky beige CRT monitors to laptops to ultrabooks.
You've made a big data plan, calmly explained why the sales manager can't carry the complete customer database around on his personal iPhone, and managed through zero-based budgets and the public cloud go-go days.
Somewhere along the line, you've let an operating system or two rub off on you. The question is: Which one? Take our quiz to find out.
1. What are you wearing right now? a. Collared shirt and chinos b. An ironic Woot tee and cargo shorts c. Why do you want to know?
2. What's your favorite HBO series of all time? a. Curb Your Enthusiasm b. True Blood c. What's HBO? Host Bus Optimizer?
3. What music are you listening to now? a. Michael Bublé on Pandora b. Daft Punk on Spotify c. C418 on a Tor stream
4. Who is your favorite superhero? a. Captain America b. Green Lantern c. Loki
5. What's your top fantasy book? a. Harry Potter: Chamber of Secrets b. Game of Thrones c. Watchmen
6. What's your favorite vacation spot? a. Branson b. Austin c. Thailand. And none of your business.
7. What are your drinks of choice? a. Bud Light mostly, a nice Merlot on special occasions b. SBux vegan soy latte, maybe a Shaken Iced Passion Tea Lemonade if I'm feeling frisky c. Red Bull with a side shot of Jack. Mountain Dew if it's close to bedtime
8. What's the last thing you do before going to sleep? a. Brush and floss my teeth thoroughly b. Hatha yoga and meditate on the oneness of all things c. Set up some tripwires and tack a blanket over the window to keep the sunlight out
9. Which element are you? a. Gold b. Helium c. Unobtanium
10. What do you drive? a. Ford F150 b. Toyota Prius c. My bike
11. What's the biggest injustice in the past 20 years? a. The iPad b. Bush v. Gore c. Token Ring
12. What keeps you awake at night? a. The iPad b. Planned obsolescence c. Red pill or blue pill?
See page two to see the truth about your OS type.
Lorna Garey is content director of InformationWeek digital media. View Full Bio
InformationWeek Tech Digest, Nov. 10, 2014Just 30% of respondents to our new survey say their companies are very or extremely effective at identifying critical data and analyzing it to make decisions, down from 42% in 2013. What gives?