Going Beyond Surface LevelSurface ruled the scene during the pop-up store's opening day, with the device monopolizing literally all of the location's display spaces. The strategy makes sense, given that it represents Microsoft's first attempt to manufacture its own tablet. But Windows 8's success will involve more than Surface, and a narrow focus over the long term seems questionable.
Don't worry, advised Diaconesu, who promised that a "full complement of Windows family products" would join Surface at the store in coming weeks. He mentioned that the store also had several other devices that were not on display -- including some manufactured by Asus and Sony -- already available for sale Friday.
He did not share whether devices from specific vendors would be featured. He also did not state whether later additions to the store would give equal attention to all varieties of Windows 8, or if the RT version, which is more consumer-centric, would continue to hold the spotlight.
For the first day, Diaconesu said, the goal was to introduce the public to Surface. Microsoft is "enormously proud" of the device, he stated. He remarked that the location would "absolutely be featuring" the Windows Phone 8 as well.
He also said, with a coy smile, that the store will continue to evolve throughout the holidays. "Stay tuned," he said. "They may be other exciting announcements."
- The E2 Social Business Leaders - E2 Conference Boston - E2 Conference Boston
- Evaluating Emerging Technologies for the Enterprise - E2 Conference Boston
- Discover the opportunities and challenges associated with mobile retail - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Delve into technologies and business issues around mobile payments and wallets - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Explore best practices for marketers in the new mobile world - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- The Untapped Potential of Mobile Apps for Commercial Customers
- Using InfoSphere Information Server to Integrate and Manage Big Data
- Augment your data warehouse with big data solutions
- Real-Time Analytics: Big Data. Real Answers. Big Impact.
- Why is Information Governance So Important for Modern Analytics?