Gates' TV SpotDuring the dark days of the U.S. Department of Justice's antitrust investigation against Microsoft in 2000, tone-deaf forces within Microsoft's corporate marketing organization apparently thought it would be helpful to put the company's founder and chairman, Bill Gates, on the airwaves to speak directly to the American people.
The resulting "fireside chat" TV commercial, featuring Gates wearing a blue sweater and seated at a table while an acoustic guitar played, was meant to soften the prevailing image of Microsoft as a monopolistic bully. In what some would call a cringe-worthy statement, Gates says at one point: "We've been writing great software for the past 25 years."
Anyhow, few people remember the ad. Much more memorable was the Internet meme a few years later that envisioned Gates as a Borg, declaring, "Resistance is futile."
- The E2 Social Business Leaders - E2 Conference Boston - E2 Conference Boston
- Evaluating Emerging Technologies for the Enterprise - E2 Conference Boston
- Discover the opportunities and challenges associated with mobile retail - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Delve into technologies and business issues around mobile payments and wallets - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- Explore best practices for marketers in the new mobile world - Mobile Commerce World - Mobile Commerce World
- The Untapped Potential of Mobile Apps for Commercial Customers
- Using InfoSphere Information Server to Integrate and Manage Big Data
- Augment your data warehouse with big data solutions
- Real-Time Analytics: Big Data. Real Answers. Big Impact.
- Why is Information Governance So Important for Modern Analytics?