re: General Motors Will Slash Outsourcing In IT Overhaul
I fully agree what Converted Cloud is saying. Based on my experience I can say summarize Mr. Mott achievments in GM : (of course that's my personal opinion) :
- Mess, mess, mess - "we are too big to help the business", one project can have 30 people, while 1st if talking, second is writing on excel, third is creating a power point presentation and fourth is uploading it to sharepoint. I have never seen so many people with so weak knowledge.
- Support does not exist or it's decreasing regullary. "Go help yourself" is a new support model. If you can't - "I'm sorry it's not IT problem. Go and learn IT moron"
- Executives want to see painted blue grass saying it's and ocean. They must be really blind on what's going on, or they don't want to see how IT is getting worse and worse each month. It's strange how they want too see time reporting based on their way of thinking, while it looks completly different, so time report is 100% bullshit and it's not true. You wanna see it the way you want? You got it.
- If you want to move forward with the project because you care, prepare for years of discussions. Productivity is getting worse and worse, people started even not to take care, if you're having 30 people on a project where nobody knows who is responsible for what + additional help from executives how the project can be sucessful?
- Silo mode on. i got lost with the amount of siloses created by Mott. Now we got communication failure. Usually you got a deal between 2-6 siloses - and nobody wants to take any responsibility. So you're going to silo A asking for something, they are sending you to silo B and silo B is sending to silo C and silo C to silo A, and all the time the same circle mode.
- Silos were very strictly created. Thanks to it people are saying "Not my responsibility" if anything touches something outside of their area. This is a huge problem - thanks to Mr. Mott reporting time and stupid split between operations and innovation.
- Lots of things are being moved to business. The main key is that GM is not HP where most of the people might have IT knowledge and they have to deal with self-support, or leading projects instead of concentrating on selling cars or promote business. Business needs to go forward and requires rapid IT changes to be competitive. Sometimes I got a feeling 20% of their time they have to deal with IT problems where IT told "Go help yourself" because Randy wants to cut cut cut money. You can't calculate how many sales we lost thanks to it.
- Due to lack of communication and "it's not my responsibility" the full frustration is switching to the business and right now it's starting to go up to Randy and I hope it will hit his head soon what he has done, when a business will tell IT we can't work.
- Randy is looking only for money. Take as much money from business, later shut it down and business will have to deal with it, or if you're lucky they will move functionallity to crappy central systems which are dedicated for something else, but key is metrics here. Take money from business to sponsor mess and shut it down.
- The biggest talents which left starting to go away from the company - reason "Transformation", soon we'll have only Randy's yes-men army
- Disruption in day-to-day work is normal. My best example is that once we're saying we got great redundancy between some datacenters in real time, while last time rain has fallen and sunk 1 datacenter and seems redundancy works only on a powerpoint slide. Company stopped for 2 days.
- Mr. Mott maybe is a CIO, but in this case this shortcut really means "Cheap Information Officer". He's not a chief and he's not inspiring young people. People hate this guy wishing him all the worst. They are not seeing any sense about the changes he's doing. More funny is that he can't explain those changes as well. You can only hear couple of some basic bullshits "Better allignment", "Transforming GM", "Deliver faster" - This is my favourite one. I have not seen any project which is not delayed.
- Small projects are push into large processes. If Randy is saying he scale the processes ... It's bullshit.
At the end... Mary I beg you - please look how IT performs... Really performs not like top executives want IT to see showing you painted green grass to blue telling you it's a warm deep blue ocean. Please.