Stories From The Issue Of » August 13, 2012
= Member Content
- Union Pacific Delivers Internet Of Things Reality Check
U.S.'s largest railroad uses sensors and analytics to prevent derailments, but it also shows where the next wave of innovation is needed.
- Tech Hotshot, Want To Work At A Railroad?
Union Pacific has to put a lot of energy into internships and recruiting to lure its IT talent.
- Why Union Pacific Builds Its Own Tech
The railroad often finds off-the-shelf software and hardware is too expensive and isn't tuned to its needs.
- Congress' $20 Billion Tech Mandate: Make Trains Safer
Union Pacific is spending hundreds of millions on IT each year for the federal plan aimed at making train accidents less likely.
- Enterprise Applications: Customization Vs. Configuration
One way businesses are coping with the challenge of upgrading and optimizing enterprise apps is to avoid customization. But configuration options present challenges of their own.
- VDI Snake Oil Check
You won't lose your shirt on a desktop virtualization initiative, but don't expect it to be easy to implement or free of unforeseen complications.
- Dr. Dobb's: Will Parallel Code Ever Be Embraced?
- Dr. Dobb's: How Contracts Change the Design of Metro Applications
- Internet Evolution: Do You See That?
- CIO Profiles: Franck Fatras Of Capital Access Network
Leaving a major company for a startup is a big learning experience, this tech chief says.
This Week's Issue
Free Print SubscriptionSubscribe
Current Government Issue
In this issue:Subscribe Now
- The Government CIO 25: These influential and accomplished government IT leaders are finding ways to be cost efficient and still innovate.
- Rethink Video Surveillance: It's not just about networked cameras anymore. New technology provides analytics, automation, facial recognition, real-time alerts and situational-awareness capabilities.
- Read the Current Issue