Smart Work for a Smarter Planet: Empower people and embrace change
Click here to download now
Overview: Something meaningful is happening. The world is getting smarter, providing us with an opportunity to think and act in new ways—economically, socially and technically. An infusion of intelligence and interconnected technologies are literally changing the way the world works.
Consider the following:
• Every day, 15 petabytes of new information are generated, more than 8 times the information contained in all U.S. libraries.
• We are heading toward one trillion connected objects—comprising “the Internet of things.”
• By 2010 there may be 30 billion radio frequency identification (RFID) tags produced globally, embedded in products, passports, buildings—even animals.
• Large companies experience up to 800 billion business events daily.
As the planet becomes a smarter planet—and more human beings, man-made systems and natural systems become interconnected, instrumented and intelligent—we begin to achieve unprecedented freedom to build, assemble, reassemble, and link resources and talent.
Today’s imperative: Adapting to New Demands How do we begin to harness the power of these technologies in our workplaces? Still too often we work in isolation making uninformed decisions using ineffective processes restricted by IT systems unable to change. Consider:
• Every week, businesses waste 5.3 hours per employee because of inefficient processes and collaboration.
• 42 percent of people say they are forced to make decisions with the wrong information at least once a week.
• 91 percent of CEOs say they need to restructure the way their organizations work.