Revolutionizing Data Warehousing in Telecom with the Vertica Analytic Database
Click here to download now
Overview: Revenue assurance analysts at a top-tier US-based carrier studied this every day. Primarily focused on detecting fraud, revenue sharing contract violations and incomplete revenue collections, they had the need to query and analyze call detail record (CDR) databases that grow by millions of new CDRs every day.
The problem was their aging CDR data warehouse:
1) Queries took tens of minutes or even hours to answer
2) They only had access to a few months of CDR history
3) They could not perform ad-hoc analysis
4) Annual costs were very high (DBMS maintenance fees, 4 DBAs, data center costs for the SMP server and SAN on which it ran)
5) The data warehouse could not be changed easily to support new requirements from legal, regulatory, and engineering or to support wireless or IP data.