The LB Series Aquos Quattron models are 52 and 46 inches. They contain LCD panels utilizing Sharp's four-color technology that adds yellow to the red, blue, and green primary colors, and "significantly improves light utilization efficiency to provide a brightness approximately 1.8 times greater than conventional, three-primary color LCD panels," Sharp said. The new models also come with a Quattron Pure Mode feature that enables the high-definition images to be reproduced from the built-in Blu-ray disc recorder.
Peripheral devices such as digital cameras and mobile phones can be connected to the TVs, which also supports wireless LAN adaptors, Sharp said. This feature will allow users to wirelessly send 3D photos from their digital camera to the TV.
With BDXL disc media technology, which Sharp announced in July, the two models have extended recording times of up to about 87 hours of HD TV programming, the company said. The BDXL format supports up to 100-GB on rewritable discs and 128-GB for write-once recordable discs.
The 52-inch model weighs approximately 58 pounds and the 46-inch model weighs nearly 51 pounds. Both have 1,920 x 1,080 pixels and come with full array LED backlight.
Last spring, Sharp estimated that by March 2011, between 5% and 10% of its total television sales would come from 3D TVs and that those figures would jump to 20% or 30% in 2012, the Wall Street Journal reported. Although research firm IDC in early 2010 projected that less than one million U.S. households will watch 3D shows this year, momentum has been building for HD devices. Other manufacturers that have introduced 3D TVs this year include Sony, Samsung, LG, and Panasonic.
The two 3D Aquos Quattron LCD TVs will be available in Japan on Nov. 15. Pricing information was not provided, however, other 3D TVs have been priced much higher than standard televisions.