This is not Apple Vs FBI, it is FBI VS US Citizens and Corporations
Regarding Mr. Comey's Speech, I would like to address the 5 major Points one at a time:
1. "There are no absolutes in American Life", there are the very foundation to which he refers also has the Declaration of Independence which Starts with "We the People" This is an absolute foundation of this country, our Government operates at the will of the people, not the other way around. That said, the FBI and local Law enforcement can not have it both ways, they should be subject as well to the same laws as the rest of the citizenry. In the Apple case, the FBI wanted to gain access to a device, ostensible because there may be useful information of a security nature. There are many other cases awaiting the outcome, and not all are for Security involving terrorist threats. In the last few weeks, Local law enforcement in Seattle raided the hope of two private individuals who operated a TOR server, which was enabling people to have private communications. The Stated purpose for the raid was an allegation of Child Pornography. The home was raided at 6:15 in the morning the married couple were separated into two police vans while they were told if they surrendered their passwords the investigators would go through all of their materials. Should they not give the Root passwords then all of their equipment would be impounded.
Within two weeks yet another case involving Allegations of Child Pornography showed up but this one with a substantially different outcome, the man being accused did in fact admit to 600 Child Porn Videos, but ony this last week was told he will not have to serve any time and will be on probation for 10 years. What is different here, the accused Seattle chapter of an FBI-private sector group tasked with fighting computer crime and cyberterrorism.
Is his work so valuable that the crimes committed outweigh the work he does on behalf of the FB?
2. "There are costs to this new world", indeed there are.We have been here before contrary to Mr. Comey's speech, it was in the early 1950s and it also was at the directions of the FBI, historically known as the McCarthy Era, where there was a communist behind every door and people were asked to spy on and report each other. Nothing has changed here, only the technology. Encryptions is just another path on the journey, it will change it will evolve. The FBI was already in the Apple case demonstrated this when they dropped the case, since they had found another method to attack the problem. I would remind anyone reading this that all of us using VPN's either privately or at work are encrypting our communication with essentially the same methods the FBI is upset about. We also encrypt our storage media, and certainly want our personal information, financial, medical and so on to remain what it is and should be private.
3. "If I were Apple Lawyer, I would have made the same argument", Frankly if you were anyone who values there privacy at all you would make that argument. What methods does Mr. Comey use in his personal life for privacy? I am betting that even he does not use the FBI VPN for communicating with his financial advisors or bank, and not just because it would be a misappropriation, but i am pretty sure he does not his whole life made public. Does he have something to hide? I sincerely believe he does not, but he has the same rights as all of us to reasonable privacy.
4. "It would be a bad thing if the conversation ended", I completely agree. What Mr. Comey follows with is "Litigation is a terrible place to have any kind of discussion about a complicated policy issue", while that statement is true, Apple did not start the litigation sir, you did! It does not take a lot of digging to find other cases where the fore of the law is being used to bully and take advantage of people such as the operators of the TOR service mentioned above. Interestingly the litigation is only over because you withdrew the complaint. Unless we engage in dialog and change now, it will happen again. Let me make it more clear, since the FBI has found another method to attack the security problem of the Apple case, how many investigations are lined up behind this case.? So Please Mr. Comey, start the dialog and start it now.
5. "On behalf of the grown-ups in the United States, I'd like to apologize." To that and the rest of the statements, thank You and very nicely worded. I agree meaningful dialog soon is in order. Making sense of the laws and adapting them in a meaningful way and so that those laws are used correctly not abusively is in order.
Note: Since I can not post URL references.. Search teh web for:
NPR Seattle TOR
KIRO Seattle Porn 600
WSJ Apple Unlock Iphone