Like AMD, Intel Has Its Sights On 2015

Chipmaker promises a glimpse of 2015 technology at the Intel Developers Forum, slated for August in San Francisco.
While Advanced Micro Devices Inc. talks about its desire to control half the processor market by 2015, Intel, its much larger competitor, has its own 10-year plan and says it will provide a glimpse of 2015 technology at the next Intel Developers Forum in August.

E-mails sent this week to would-be forum attendees say that they "don't need to wait a decade to see 2015's technology." The forum, scheduled for Aug. 23-25 in San Francisco, will provide insight into Intel's plans for multicore processors and associated platforms, as well as future broadband technologies, the company says.

Hector Ruiz, chairman, president, and chief executive of AMD, has said he believes the company should look to capture a third of the x86-based processor market within the next three years. A recent AMD newsletter called "50x15 Connections" says the company's goal is to "provide 50% of the world with affordable computing capability and Internet access by 2015."

Currently, AMD ships 17% of all x86 processors units sold, according to Mercury Research, with Intel controlling the remaining 83% of the market.

Editor's Choice
Brian T. Horowitz, Contributing Reporter
Samuel Greengard, Contributing Reporter
Nathan Eddy, Freelance Writer
Brandon Taylor, Digital Editorial Program Manager
Jessica Davis, Senior Editor
Cynthia Harvey, Freelance Journalist, InformationWeek
Sara Peters, Editor-in-Chief, InformationWeek / Network Computing