The following set of instructions will only worked with non-rooted Droids. If you've already rooted your Droid, you'll need to un-root it and return it to its stock state. The non-rooted Droid runs Android 2.0.1 (ESD56).
Here's what you'll need to do:
- Make sure that you don't have any past update.zip file located on your phone's microSD memory card. If there is one, delete it.
- Download the new update.zip file using your PC and transfer it to the main root directory on the DROID's microSD memory card. Do NOT place it in any sub-directory or rename the file to something else.
- Power the phone off.
- Slide open the phone so you can see the keyboard.
- Press-and-hold the letter X on the keyboard and press the Power button until the device powers on.
- Continue to hold the Power and X button until the screen shows a triangle and exclamation mark.
- Release the Power and X button.
- Press the Volume UP *and* Camera buttons at the same time. Be sure to keep the phone open.
- On the screen you will see several choices, use the d-pad on the keyboard to move down the list and select the "update.zip" file.
- The update process will begin and will take a few minutes to load.
- Once it is done, select the 1st option on the screen to Reboot the phone - NOT Factory Restore.
- The phone will turn off and then restart, and the "DROID EYE" will show for about 2-5 minutes.
- After the Home Screen loads, everything will be intact, including programs and settings.
- Turn phone back off, remove the battery, wait 1 minute, replace battery and turn phone on.
- Go into Settings, About Phone and scroll down. It should list Firmware version 2.1-update1, Build number ESE81.