Verizon Wireless has announced a software update for the HTC Droid Eris. This is not the promised update to either Android 2.0 or 2.1. Instead, this new boot ROM and radio software fixes some minor performance issues on the device.Some owners of the Droid Eris should have begun to see their devices update starting at midnight last night. The Eris now runs ROM version 1.16.605.1 and radio software version 22.214.171.124.09.
Much like the Droid by Motorola, the update will be pushed to a small group of people first then phased in until all the users have the new update. Same process, customers get an alert and accept the download. Should take about a week to reach all consumers.
Just like with the Droid by Motorola, not every person experienced every single issue that is being improved. Here is the list of things that will be impacted by this update.
- While on a call and the device is in screensaver mode, pressing the End key now takes the device out of screensaver mode, and a second press will end the call.
- On-call mute and speakerphone icon functionality is enhanced.
- Upgraded functionality after activation eliminates the delay users were experiencing in receiving their first call.
- Device now switches effectively from 1x mode to 3G.
- Device no longer requires users to reselect a default email after power-cycling.
- AMS and MMS messaging delivery is improved.
- Eighty-character MMS/SMS message subject lines are now allowed.
- Improved picture messaging functionality allows messages from LG phones to be opened.