- Following the launch of the iPhone in mid-April, this report, we preview some of the initial data from Opera Mini's release on the iPhone. These preliminary numbers will be reviewed in greater depth when we publish April's numbers next month.
- The Apple iPhone is currently the #3 device used by Opera Mini users worldwide. All the other top 20 devices are Nokia and Sony Ericsson handsets.
- The Apple iPhone is currently the #1 device used by Opera Mini users in the United States, well ahead of BlackBerry (which previously occupied the top spot).
- Next month's top 10 countries may be in for a change. By mid-April, due to the iPhone launch, the United States jumped from #8 to #5 in the top 10 countries list.
- Out of the top 10 countries according to Opera Mini usage, the United States and the United Kingdom are the two countries where the Apple iPhone has become the #1 device used by Opera Mini users. Beyond the top 10 countries, Australia, Korea, Canada, Germany and Japan are other examples of places where the iPhone has become the device of choice for Opera Mini users.
I do wonder how many people downloaded Opera MIni to test it out -- and then stopped using it. Though I have Opera Mini installed on my iPhone, I still use Safari as my main browser on the device. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm not alone. Opera doesn't specify if its report means the number of downloads, or the number of active users (which are too different things).
Can Opera Mini maintain its pace of growth for the iPhone? We'll find out next month.