Nokia Drops To Number Two Across Europe - InformationWeek
IoT
IoT
Mobile // Mobile Devices
Commentary
5/6/2011
10:39 AM
Eric Zeman
Eric Zeman
Commentary
50%
50%

Nokia Drops To Number Two Across Europe

Samsung surged ahead to take the number one spot in Western Europe for all phones, while Apple surpassed Nokia in smartphone sales.

Top 10 Mobile Apps For Business Collaboration
Slideshow: Top 10 Mobile Apps For Business Collaboration
(click image for larger view and for slideshow)
Nokia has lost ground in its home market of Western Europe, and fell to the number two spot in two separate segments, according to data from IDC.

Overall, the Western European phone market grew by 5% during the first quarter, with 45 million phones shipped IDC said. Samsung increased its phone shipments by 5.3% to 13.2 million devices (feature phones and smartphones combined). Conversely, Nokia's shipments dropped 10.3% to a total of 12.6 million devices. These numbers give Samsung the overall lead in Western Europe with 29.3% of the market. Nokia ranks number two with 27.9% of the market.

There may only be 1.4% separating the two, but the psychological significance has to be huge for Nokia, which has dominated worldwide phone sales for years. Western Europe is considered Nokia's home turf, and now the market leader there is its Korean competitor.

Rounding out the rest of the top five phone providers in Europe, Apple lands in the third slot with 9.8% of the market, RIM is number four with 7.8%, and HTC is number five with 7.8%.

Dialing down more specifically into smartphone sales, the picture is a bit different. Apple's shipments to Western Europe rose dramatically by 48.9% to 4.4 million devices in the quarter, while Nokia's smartphone shipments dropped by 15% to 4.2 million devices. Apple is the number one smartphone provider in Europe, with 20.8% of the market. Nokia is number two, with 19.6%.

Again, the difference isn't huge in terms of raw numbers, but Nokia has led the smartphone market for a decade with its Symbian platform. Western Europe has been is stronghold. No longer.

Rounding out the rest of the top five smartphone providers in Europe, Research In Motion takes the third slot with 16.5% of the market, HTC is fourth with 16.5% of the market, and Samsung lands in the fifth slot with 12.1%.

"Samsung and Apple achieved outstanding milestones this quarter in the region," said Francisco Jeronimo, IDC's European mobile devices research manager, in a statement. "Samsung became the biggest mobile phone vendor in Western Europe and Apple the biggest smartphone vendor. These results show how volatile this market is and how important it is not to underestimate the trends. Companies like Nokia may have strong brands and big market shares as Nokia always had, but can be overtaken by their competitors on a blink of an eye."

Nokia floundered with its Symbian and MeeGo platforms through 2007-2010 and was unable to bring attractive, competitive products to market fast enough to ward off the iPhone and Android onslaught. It has since given up entirely on its own platform software, and in February announced that it would make smartphones with Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 platform in the future. Its first WP7 devices aren't expected to arrive until late 2011 or early 2012.

Comment  | 
Print  | 
More Insights
Comments
Newest First  |  Oldest First  |  Threaded View
How Enterprises Are Attacking the IT Security Enterprise
How Enterprises Are Attacking the IT Security Enterprise
To learn more about what organizations are doing to tackle attacks and threats we surveyed a group of 300 IT and infosec professionals to find out what their biggest IT security challenges are and what they're doing to defend against today's threats. Download the report to see what they're saying.
Register for InformationWeek Newsletters
White Papers
Current Issue
Digital Transformation Myths & Truths
Transformation is on every IT organization's to-do list, but effectively transforming IT means a major shift in technology as well as business models and culture. In this IT Trend Report, we examine some of the misconceptions of digital transformation and look at steps you can take to succeed technically and culturally.
Video
Slideshows
Twitter Feed
Sponsored Live Streaming Video
Everything You've Been Told About Mobility Is Wrong
Attend this video symposium with Sean Wisdom, Global Director of Mobility Solutions, and learn about how you can harness powerful new products to mobilize your business potential.
Flash Poll