Android users spoke and Opera listened. Today, Opera announced that its Opera Mini 4.2 for Android software has graduated from beta status and is now a full build. Lots of new goodies are on board.Opera Mini 4.2 has been available in beta form for the Android platform for a while. During this beta period, Opera has listened closely to what Android users have had to say. In response, it is making a big set of improvements to the software.
Opera representative Thomas Ford said in an e-mail, "We focused on the top issues that Android users reported. The experience should be much better and we invite them to try it."
Major fixes include:
- Added JSR-75 (File API) support which gives access to the SD card for uploading and downloading and also the possibility to save pages locally
- Added support for video playback (Opera Mini hands over to the operating system video player)
- Double tap works for zoom/unzoom
- Use of inline url entry instead of native textbox
- Fixed password text entry to show hidden characters
- Fixed problems with exiting application when back button was pressed
- Improved trackball speed.
- Using Extra Large font in the built in pages.
- Plus many small tweaks and fixes.
Opera Mini 4.2 for Android is a free download.