(click image for larger view)
Click on a link for a specific crime, and the site will list the latest police postings for that specific offense, as well as the most common type of locations-streets, sidewalks, residence, public buildings, and so on-where these crimes took place.
Chicagocrime.org offers RSS feeds the contain the latest crimes for each police beat and each city block.
Once a day, Chicagocrime.org automatically downloads crime data from Citizen ICAM, an online database operated by the Chicago police that lets the public search for recently reported crimes. Citizen ICAM only keeps 90 days worth of data, which limits Chicagocrime.org offerings to the same three-month period. There's a one-week delay before Chicago authorities post online the city crime stats.
Slicing and dicing the data, here are some interesting stats Chicagocrime.org offers about Chicago crime over the past three months:
- Day with the most crimes: March 18 (1,037 crimes)
- Day with the fewest crimes: May 5 (470 crimes)
- Hour with most crime: 2 p.m. March 2
- Most commonly reported crimes: simple battery, criminal damage to vehicle, and criminal damage to property
- Most common crime location: street, residence, and sidewalk