Vlingo has offered software for BlackBerries to do all this for some time. Today's announcement of version 3.0 should be happy news for speech users. With the new software users get a better text-to-speech read-back feature that confirms what was spoken, the ability to speak action requests such as "send," and new support for wired and Bluetooth headsets. A full rundown includes:
- Send and reply to text messages with users who also have Vlingo
- Web search
- Dial the phone
- Send a "note to self"
- Facebook & Twitter status updates
- Tell A Friend
- Optional read-back of the full text or email message that was spoken
- Speak action requests such as "send" or "search"
- Launch native and third-party applications
There are two versions, one that's free with fewer features and one that costs $18 and has more features. The software is available for download in Apps World. It is compatible with most current BlackBerry models.