I'm genuinely excited by Windows 10.
I know. It shows I have very little to live for. But I'm excited by Windows 10 in the same way I'm excited for the next season of Marvel's Agents of SHIELD. I didn't like last season at all, but the idea is so good I figure it can only get better.
On July 29, we'll see if Windows 10 can erase the bad taste still in our mouth leftover from Windows 8. The idea of an operating system experience across smartphone, tablet, and PC is really a nice idea. Even the iOS experience isn't as consistent across form factors, and if Microsoft really does give us that experience -- and a good phone to go with the great Surface tablet --it really will force consumers into some very interesting decisions.
But heck, I'm not expecting miracles. I have to work with a Windows PC, and I also use one for gaming at home, so I'm with Windows no matter what. All I want is to not hate it. Give me something I can work with and I'll happily stick to a Windows PC environment even if I never own a Windows phone.
[What happened to Windows 9? Read 10 Real Reasons Microsoft Skipped Windows 9.]
Others are more picky than me.
We can talk about features and user experience all we want. But the truth is people like or they don't like operating systems largely because of visceral reactions. They don't like the look. They don't like the social response to it. It doesn't fit their mindset. Whatever it is, once a tide of hates sweeps of an OS, it is done.
The opposite is true as well. We love things for strange reasons. And I think we'll love Windows 10. Beyond the features there are other reasons to love it. Here are my 10.
1. Everyone hates change. We've had three years to look at Windows 8, so it doesn't feel like change.
2. People love round numbers.
3. Cortana is cooler than Siri. No really. Cortana started in the best video game ever.
4. We love that myth that Microsoft gets it right every other operating system.
5. Windows is optimized for touch screens. 10 fingers. Windows 10. Coincidence? I think not.
6. The average house has 10 windows. Windows 10. Coincidence? I think not.
7. The new Microsoft browser is called Spartan. How awesome is that? Though it does make you want Windows 300.
8. It isn't Vista.
9. Anyone who hates Windows ran to Apple a long time ago.
10. You got your start button back, you big whiners.David has been writing on business and technology for over 10 years and was most recently Managing Editor at Enterpriseefficiency.com. Before that he was an Assistant Editor at MIT Sloan Management Review, where he covered a wide range of business topics including IT, ... View Full Bio