Re: Can Windows be more inclined to open source side?
I'd have to disagree with your point. Computer OSs vs portable OSs (mobile, tablet, IoTs) are two different creatures. Sure Apple gives away it's computer OS - but it still only commands around 10% of the market. With their market cap and profitability they can easily subsidize the development of the computer OS. However, I think if the shoe were on the other foot, that is, they had 90% of the marketplace for PCs and 10% portable share, you would see much different behavior from Apple on their OS (as well as different criticisms from the tech press at large). For Apple's mobile, they are the only manufacturer that can use iOS on mobile, so they can subsidize the iOS dev costs with the overpriced hardware that Apple, and ONLY Apple, sells.
Sure, many people can replace a PC if all they do is Facebook, email, browse and tweet. However, many users still use their PC for gaming, Media servers, and productivity software, as well as POS systems. For too long and too loudly, we have heard the PC is dead - it's just not true. The development costs for these types of systems are very expensive and you just can't open source that kind of thing. People want an OS that just works, not an open source OS that has to be constantly tweaked by geeks who know what they are doing. Not to mention, consumers and enterprises want a company to provide support, not to browse forums all day to get some response on why their OS is having problems on the network.