CA Leader: Don't Let Legacy Hold You Back - InformationWeek

InformationWeek is part of the Informa Tech Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them.Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

IoT
IoT
IT Leadership

CA Leader: Don't Let Legacy Hold You Back

In his Interop ITX keynote, CA Technologies CTO Otto Berkes took a hard look at technology change and how organizations approach it.

We can't have a tech conversation without talking about change, particularly the pace of change. Today, Otto Berkes put tech change into perspective, saying, "We are lost in a technological maze of our own making."

The chief technology officer for CA Technologies then told the keynote audience at Interop ITX in Las Vegas, "Our architectures are difficult to maintain, let alone evolve," noting that companies are still taking a "linear approach to dealing with exponential change."

Berkes called on the 3,000 Interop attendees and their organizations to find a different way to operate. "It's not sufficient to react to change. We need to reinvent the way we do things," he said.

Otto Berkes Interop ITX keynote

Of course, that calls for new ideas and innovation to enable the ongoing change and improvement that so many companies need to implement through Agile and DevOps. He said that while it is nice to have an idea factory, "Just coming up with ideas doesn't make them real." That calls for a "software factory" that can implement new software through containers and microservices. Those concepts help to bring to life the service-oriented architecture that was just a dream a decade ago.

But new forms of innovation and new architectures alone won't bring IT into a more modern world. Berkes noted that many IT budgets still suffer from the 80/20 rule in which 80% of the money goes to maintenance, leaving 20% or less for innovation.

He urged attendees to not let "legacy" hold them back, to embark on "creative destruction" to reduce their legacy systems where possible, and to "drive new bandwidth" for new applications and approaches.

Finally, he encouraged IT professionals to never lose sight of where the real value is in technology. "It's us, the people," he stressed -- the people whose lives are improved and whose work is enabled by technology.

Jim Connolly is a versatile and experienced technology journalist who has reported on IT trends for more than two decades. As editorial director of InformationWeek and Network Computing, he oversees the day-to-day planning and editing on the site. Most recently he was editor ... View Full Bio

We welcome your comments on this topic on our social media channels, or [contact us directly] with questions about the site.
Comment  | 
Print  | 
More Insights
Comments
Newest First  |  Oldest First  |  Threaded View
Charlie Babcock
50%
50%
Charlie Babcock,
User Rank: Author
5/24/2017 | 6:00:43 PM
'We need to be engineered for change.'
Another thing I got out of Berke's talk was his comment, "We're living in an application economy where every company needs to be a software company." That means doing things differently in IT. "We need to be engineered for change," which, he conceded, is more easily said than done when the IT organization is somewhat rigid. -
technicalaccademy
50%
50%
technicalaccademy,
User Rank: Apprentice
5/18/2017 | 1:38:24 AM
windows update errors
it is nice post
Slideshows
7 Technologies You Need to Know for Artificial Intelligence
Jessica Davis, Senior Editor, Enterprise Apps,  7/1/2019
Commentary
A Practical Guide to DevOps: It's Not that Scary
Cathleen Gagne, Managing Editor, InformationWeek,  7/5/2019
Commentary
Diversity in IT: The Business and Moral Reasons
James M. Connolly, Editorial Director, InformationWeek and Network Computing,  6/20/2019
White Papers
Register for InformationWeek Newsletters
State of the Cloud
State of the Cloud
Cloud has drastically changed how IT organizations consume and deploy services in the digital age. This research report will delve into public, private and hybrid cloud adoption trends, with a special focus on infrastructure as a service and its role in the enterprise. Find out the challenges organizations are experiencing, and the technologies and strategies they are using to manage and mitigate those challenges today.
Video
Current Issue
Data Science and AI in the Fast Lane
This IT Trend Report will help you gain insight into how quickly and dramatically data science is influencing how enterprises are managed and where they will derive business success. Read the report today!
Slideshows
Flash Poll