Conexant Systems To Buy GlobespanVirata - InformationWeek
IoT
IoT
Hardware & Infrastructure
News
11/3/2003
11:40 AM
50%
50%

Conexant Systems To Buy GlobespanVirata

The combined company will target the broadband digital market, including DSL and wireless LANs.

RED BANK, N.J. (AP) - Semiconductor company Conexant Systems Inc. agreed to acquire GlobespanVirata Inc., a maker of broadband communications products, for about $969.5 million in stock.

The combined company will target the broadband digital market, including digital-subscriber line connectivity and wireless local-area networking.

Conexant, of Newport Beach, Calif., sells products used in digital subscriber lines and cable-modem solutions. GlobespanVirata, based in Red Bank, N.J., was formed through the merger of GlobeSpan and Virata. It provides integrated circuits, software, and systems designs for digital subscriber line applications.

The deal, approved by the boards of both companies, is expected to close in the first quarter of 2004.

Under the agreement, GlobespanVirata shareholders will receive 1.198 shares of Conexant for each share held. Conexant will own 62.75 percent of the combined company, with GlobespanVirata holding the remaining 37.25 percent stake.

Based on Conexant's Friday closing of $5.84 a share, GlobespanVirata is valued at about $7 a share, a 14 percent premium to the company's Friday closing price. As of Sept. 30, GlobespanVirata has about 138.5 million shares outstanding.

Conexant chairman and chief executive Dwight W. Decker will take on the role as chairman of the combined company, while GlobespanVirata's president and chief executive, Armando Geday, will assume the post of CEO. Matthew Rhodes, Conexant's president, was named president of the combined company.

The combined company will employ about 2,400 people and will keep the Conexant name, but have its headquarters in Red Bank, N.J., GlobespanVirata's current home.

Both companies reported quarterly results last Thursday. For its fiscal fourth quarter ended Sept. 30, Conexant swung to a profit of $37.2 million, and revenue rose 24 percent to $164.7 million. GlobespanVirata posted a slightly wider net loss of $31.3 million for its third quarter, hampered by several items. The company's quarterly revenue, however, doubled to $98.8 million.

We welcome your comments on this topic on our social media channels, or [contact us directly] with questions about the site.
Comment  | 
Print  | 
More Insights
Comments
Newest First  |  Oldest First  |  Threaded View
2018 State of the Cloud
2018 State of the Cloud
Cloud adoption is growing, but how are organizations taking advantage of it? Interop ITX and InformationWeek surveyed technology decision-makers to find out, read this report to discover what they had to say!
Commentary
Getting DevOps Wrong: Top 5 Mistakes Organizations Make
Bill Kleyman, Writer/Blogger/Speaker,  11/2/2018
Commentary
How to Dethrone Inefficient Software in Your Organization
Guest Commentary, Guest Commentary,  11/2/2018
Commentary
AI & Machine Learning: An Enterprise Guide
James M. Connolly, Executive Managing Editor, InformationWeekEditor in Chief,  9/27/2018
Register for InformationWeek Newsletters
Video
Current Issue
The Next Generation of IT Support
The workforce is changing as businesses become global and technology erodes geographical and physical barriers.IT organizations are critical to enabling this transition and can utilize next-generation tools and strategies to provide world-class support regardless of location, platform or device
White Papers
Slideshows
Twitter Feed
Sponsored Live Streaming Video
Everything You've Been Told About Mobility Is Wrong
Attend this video symposium with Sean Wisdom, Global Director of Mobility Solutions, and learn about how you can harness powerful new products to mobilize your business potential.
Sponsored Video
Flash Poll