DevOps for the continuous learning/documenting and adoptive organizations.
You are correct, DevOps is not for everybody, it is surely only for the continuous learning/documenting and adoptive organizations.
1) There are about 10 project types: New service, Service Maintenance, Service Upgrade, Service Integration, M&A, Data Analytics, Service Business Process Analysis, and Research.
2) These can be divided into 3 levels of work: Significant, Normal or Standard.
3) All being performed mostly on 5 platforms: Windows, Unix, other
4) Using a finite number of languages.
5) Generaly 4 environments: SANDBOX, BUILDing/DEVelopment, TEST/QA,PRODuction/Operations
DevOps is the team of experts at the level of the project as in 2 that has the end to end [in the environment promotion] interest of that service as measured by SLA. It is true that all projects are unique but using this thinking then we do not have any expert for alternative paths of a project are infinite. If the organization uses Activity Based Management it would easly understand its services, channels and cutomers which would drive the type of project.