iPhone 5 Sales Up, Price Down - InformationWeek

InformationWeek is part of the Informa Tech Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them.Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

IoT
IoT
Infrastructure // PC & Servers
News
12/21/2012
01:22 PM
Connect Directly
Twitter
Facebook
Google+
LinkedIn
RSS
E-Mail
50%
50%

iPhone 5 Sales Up, Price Down

A new research report shows Apple with a majority of the smartphone market in the United States, but lagging behind Samsung and other Android vendors abroad. In spite of U.S. dominance, Apple is allowing discounts to its newest iPhone. The same research shows Nokia's fortunes turning in Great Britain, although less so among younger buyers.

Consumer research company Kantar Worldpanel is reporting that the iPhone had a majority smartphone market share in the United States in the 12 week period ending November 25. The sales were, no doubt, boosted by the new iPhone 5, which became available to the public 18 days into that period.

Kantar Worldpanel notes that Android is still dominant in Europe and IDC reports that Android has a 68.3% smartphone market share worldwide. If all the numbers are correct, they would indicate that Apple's dominance in the US is atypical.

Then again, we have also seen contradictory reports, including iSuppli's report of Samsung having a 28% smartphone market share to Apple's 20%. iSuppli must have different criteria for measuring the smartphone market, as their list of the top 5 companies — Samsung, Apple, Nokia, HTC and RIM — total up only 63%. Who are the other 37%?

In recent days, Apple has also moved to allow deep discounting of iPhones through retailers. As reported by dealnews.com, Fry's Electronics is selling the 16GB iPhone 5 for $126 (with a 2 year contract), one-upping Walmart's $127. The list price is $199. Discounting a hot seller is an odd move for anyone, let alone Apple.

The Kantar report also shows Nokia's sales in Great Britain on the upswing, especially with aggressively-priced prepaid contract phones.

We welcome your comments on this topic on our social media channels, or [contact us directly] with questions about the site.
Comment  | 
Print  | 
More Insights
Commentary
Enterprise Guide to Edge Computing
Cathleen Gagne, Managing Editor, InformationWeek,  10/15/2019
News
Rethinking IT: Tech Investments that Drive Business Growth
Jessica Davis, Senior Editor, Enterprise Apps,  10/3/2019
Slideshows
IT Careers: 12 Job Skills in Demand for 2020
Cynthia Harvey, Freelance Journalist, InformationWeek,  10/1/2019
White Papers
Register for InformationWeek Newsletters
Video
Current Issue
Getting Started With Emerging Technologies
Looking to help your enterprise IT team ease the stress of putting new/emerging technologies such as AI, machine learning and IoT to work for their organizations? There are a few ways to get off on the right foot. In this report we share some expert advice on how to approach some of these seemingly daunting tech challenges.
Slideshows
Flash Poll